Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID of propeller section (long shot but have to ask)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID of propeller section (long shot but have to ask)

Hi
    Could anyone hazard a guess what country this prop originated?
    Sorry but no markings are evident. Has a black canvas tip and the wood is still a bit glossy because I just gave it a drink of linseed oil yesterday.
    It once had four emblems fixed to it that were evenly spaced apart. I'm really after what they could have been so I can return it to its original glory.
    The emblem holes are in a unique patten and all exactly the same. I was thinking a hat badge size maybe?
    The full prop dimensions are:
    Length, 97.5cm
    Widest width, 20.5cm
    Not sure of the wood type, mahogany?
    Best regards, Stephen.

Last edited by Stephen G; 10-09-2012, 10:03 AM. Reason: typo

I'd go with mahogany, but I think that determining much else is nearly impossible unless you found a PERFECT match with an identifiable prop.

What "emblems" are you referring to?
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      What "emblems" are you referring to?
      Thanks Dave, I wasn't holding my breath getting an id on the prop but you never know your luck.

In the last photo it shows where something was attached. That pattern of holes is repeated evenly across the prop x 4. You cant see the one in the canvas end although it is there. At some stage four identical somethings were attached and I was thinking maybe a brass officers cap badge or the like.

If someone says that has all the hallmarks of a German or British prop, then I can start looking at officers brass that might fit that strange pattern of anchor point holes.
      Cheers, Stephen.

Comment

I'd guess British first, but without much basis.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. I was thinking that myself as it turned up in Australia.
          I may have to send the photo of the fixation holes to someone who collects WW1 brass and see if they can suggest a match for that hole pattern.
          Regards, Stephen.

Comment

'Morning Stephen,

Your prop dates from late 1917 or 1918 because there are no dowels let into the blades to prevent creep in manufacture whilst gluing or as a counter to the extreme G encountered in use. The use of dowels was entirely a British idea. The Germans and French did not use it and the British gave it up around early 1917.

And we can narrow the date of manufacture down to 1918 which is when the protective linen on the tips was painted black. Hitherto, olive green.

The comparatively slender blade suggests a low powered engine and the elegance of the shape suggests a prop design of the Royal Aircraft Factory, known as the RAF until the Royal Air Force was formed in April 1918.

The thought occurs that your blade is from a BE2C aircraft, but the chances of this being an accurate guess are low; its just an intuitive thought, not even an attribution!

The prop was sold as surplus in 1919 and used in a cottage industry which converted surplus WW1 props into useful souvenir artefacts; complete props, picture frames, hall stands, ornamental planters, cigar and tobacco boxes et al. In this case it was transformed into a coat and hat stand. The holes show where a double hook was mounted, for a hat on the upper and a coat on the lower.

You might consider leaving the holes as they are because you have a completely genuine and untouched artefact from nearly a century ago.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Gardner; 10-15-2012, 05:29 AM.
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks a heap Bob. That info is great and I never would have thought of it been a coat hanger years ago.
              Cheers, Stephen.

Comment

Working...
              X