Need help identifying 54" wooden propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying 54" wooden propeller

Hi, I found this in a barn a while back and need some help identifiying it. The only markings on it are some numbers on the hub. 48790 with a 40 underneath. There is also a 1 and a 2 on the blades close to the hub. The hub is 6" in diameter and 3 and 3/8" thick. The widest part of the blades are 5 and 3/8". What looks like brass on the leading edges extends 15 and 3/4" from the tips. Not much info, but that is all I have. Thanks
    Attached Files

From the pictures it looks to me like another prop that's been cut down due to severe tip damage. If the blades are symmetrical one blade may have been cut down to 'match' the other.

Lamar

Comment

54" Propeller

Hi Lamar. The blades are symetrical. I do not know how to tell if they have been cut. At the tips the blades are 9/16" thick at the thickest point. If they have been cut any idea how much was taken off? Did they cut them to continue using them? Are the numbers on the hub any help at all to ID the manufacturer/year, etc. Thanks. Patrick
      Attached Files

Comment

Several things give it away. The diameter is now too small for conventional aircraft, the edge has protective metal sheath but the tip pictured doesn't, the tip pictured is pretty roughly finished and too thick for a tip. My guess would be one or both tips suffered strike damage, the prop was given to someone who then cut the other tip off to make it symmetrical so it would display well.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
        X