Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with ID - I think it's Paragon C1918?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ID - I think it's Paragon C1918?

Hi - I'm a woman and I've no clue what I'm talking about. My husband has his grandfather's wooden propeller from his bi-plane up in the garage. For his birthday, as a surprise, I want to clean it up (not restore it since it's in original condition) so that he can mount it in his office to enjoy. His grandfather was a pilot and lieutenant (1920) in the Royal Air Force (Canada) and apparently a daredevil who used to "barnstorm" with his bi-plane. I think he may have crashed it since the propeller has some damage.

Can you help me ID it and suggest method for cleaning (read about the linseed oil & wax suggestion)?

These are all of the decals and stamping that I can read:

Trade Mark
    Paragon
    (in the oval)

R. Brodie

RIGHT HAND
    8ft3" 5.00

C.ALPER (????? can't read this one)

Also, I cannot read what is imprinted in the small circles.
    Could this be a Paragon circa 1918 from a Curtis Jenny biplane?

I measured it and it is indeed 8'3" in length and has 8 holes in the "hub"?

Thanks for any info anyone can give to me. I cannot take a photo at this time because I'll get busted in the process.

Regards, Luneos

It can't really be determined from what you have. A picture would help. Also, you can measure the hub dimensions to see if it goes to an OX5 or HIsso engine.

Go to this link, then use the link on that page to get to the hub table.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave for the direction. I cleaned up the propeller and it's gorgeous! I can see now that it is made of oak. It's hub measurements are an exact match to the Curtis OX5. Doing a little more research I found out that my husband's grandfather bought a "Jenny" bi-plane after WWI. He used to give people rides and fly under bridges with the plane. After crashing a number of times, he finally quit flying. (By the looks of the damage on the propeller, the plane was probably in bad shape and he just saved the propeller.

My husband will be thrilled on Friday when I give it to him. I took photos & will post when I get them back.

I'm so glad I found this site for all of the helpful info it has provided.

Regards, Lorraine

Comment

Working...
      X