Propeller found in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller found in UK

Greetings. I have just found a propeller in England and would be very grateful for any information

On the hub is written D6 83
    P7.99
    AC42902
    DEC/35 (This must be the date of manufacture)

DRG No.21946/1
    NIAGARA
    LHT

Thank you
    Paul

Would you please give us a little more information? What is the diameter (length)? How many bolt holes? Are there any decals? If so, what name is on them. Is it possible to post pictures here?

Thanks.

Lamar

Comment

I think the size is in the stampings.

D 6 83
      P 7 99

It's probably like one of these propellers (Left Hand Rotation) although I don't know what it goes on.
      Dave

Comment

Hello Paul,

I can't tell you what aircraft it came from either. The drg no. is not in my database.

The prop is 6.83ft in diameter, about 6ft 10ins, and was built for a Pobjoy Niagara radial engine with 7 cylinders producing around 90hp. All Pobjoy engines were held in high regard in the 1930's. It was a British engine, renowned for reliabity and quietness.

It was used extensively in British light aircraft of the 1930's such as the Short Scion, the Monospar, the Comper Swift etc. It was also used in some military aircraft, most famously in the half size flying prototype of the Stirling bomber which used four Niagaras.

With regards,

Bob Gardner
        www.aeroclocks.com
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X