Flottrop Prop I.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flottrop Prop I.D.

Hi I have a Flottorp Armor coated Prop it is 72 inch's long the only numbers I can find on it are 11892 and under that is the number 48. Also could be 11092 and under that a number 40. These numbers are on the hub should I be looking anywhere else? I looked on the internet and could find nothing any info will be a big help. Thanks John

I don't have any documentation on either sets of those numbers. The only Flottorp info I have is at http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/flottorp.htm.

Lamar

Comment

Thanks for you time and effort. With such few numbers is there anyway to tell the year of the propeller? What years were the Armor coated Propellers made? The one I have is silver colored with Yellow tips with the back of it painted Black. When did Flottorp go out of bussinessThanks again John

Comment

The only company whose records survived and are available to determine date of manufacture is Sensenich. Even if you had an identifiable design number I couldn't give you the manufacture date.

Unfortunately I have no idea what years Flottorp made armor coated props and I have no good idea when they ceased manufacture.

Lamar

Comment

Flottorp Prop ID

John.
          I'll do a search for you. I have just aquired most of the Flottorp Wood propeller Type Certificates and have also aquired the Beech Roby Type Certificates. I have 400 plus drawing and three or for boxes of records.
          It may take me a while but I'll see what I can find from the two number you listed. The armor (plastic) coating on the propellers make it dificult to read the numbers after the coating has worn a bit. This plastic coating is no longer available as it is not environmental friendly and is nearly impossible to find the identical composition. It burns very hot and very quickly.
          Bob

Comment

Bob,

Did you ever come up with any info on this? Know that this is an old thread but not much info on these.

I have found a "armor coated" Flottorp prop that is in good condition. Its a 74CD50 model for an Aeronca Sedan.

Problem is that its showing some age in areas that concern me. One tip has a line in the paint (and assume the coating under the paint) that runs from the edge of the tip to somewhere towards the hub.

Am guessing that its following a glue line in the wood and if thats the case then my personal feeling is that the coating needs to be removed and check for de-lamination of the wood. I am an A&P but not extremely experienced in wood props, especially the armor coated versions.

Does anyone repair armor coated props these days? Assume that Sensenich will still do a Flottorp but never asked them about the armor coated ones. Can the armor coating be removed and leave the prop varnished?

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Bob, do you have any additional information I can use on my Flottorp web page?

Lamar

Comment

Lamar,

I talked with the people at Sensenich Wooden props and while really nice, they said that they cannot do anything to any prop other than a Sensenich. Their repair station certificate does not allow it.

We talked about "Wings of History" museum over on the left coast. They have their own "in house" prop shop and he said that they might be able to overhaul a normal wooden Flottorp prop but had no ideas on a "armor coated" version. I called them and they are open only on Tuesdays and Thursdays so no info today.

Joe

Comment

Joe, I'm just guessing that the ability to take a non-airworthy prop and make it airworthy is prohibitive, and that simply buying a new one makes more sense. Rembember, if you have one in good visible condition but not airworthy, you can usually sell it as a display prop and at least get something towards the purchase of a newly manufactured one.
                  Dave

Comment

Wings of History

Joe:
                    I've had several propellers inspected and repaired by the propeller shop at Wings of History Air Museum in San Martin, CA. Seven of them are pictured on the "Just Showing Off" page on this web site; one of the Flottorp is the "armor-coated" design. I've sent every one of the propellers I've ever considered purchasing to W.O.H. and I believe they give me their honest opinion about the propeller's condition. They've rejected several. I've met Guy and Herb and trust them implicitly.

Comment

Dwight,

Thanks much and it also comes highly recommended by Paul Agaliotis on the left coast, so they are my next choice. Just need to get ahold of them on Tuesday when they are open.

Dave,

Thanks and the question is, "is the prop airworthy" right now? It very well could be, on the other hand it may not, so that is why I was asking. As a 30 year A&P I have seen a lot of wooden props but never worked with an armor coated version.

One problem we have is that the prop in question is only used on the Aeronca Sedan aircraft. Not a lot of them left out there these days and as well not many prop companies making new props for the Sedan. Sensenich does not have ANY for this application and not sure about McCauley.

Looking at ACS's webpage they do not list any props for this application. Even if I were rich, which I am not (am actually unemployed for the last 8 months) just going out to buy a new prop is not always an option. As well I would much rather save a old prop if possible as someday there may not be any more available. There are far too many hanging on the wall with a clock stuffed in the middle as it is.

Thx,

Joe A

Comment

Joe.
                        I have never seen any of the armor coatings crack which leads me to believe that the crack is in only the paint on the prop tip. If this is the case then you can fix it. If the armor coating is cracked then it cannot be repaired as the material is no longer available. I have remove the armor coating and it has to be done very carefully. You may get a large piece that comes off very easy but then there will be an area that will stick and may pull some wood with it. I took me about three to four hours to do both blades. And because the metal leading edge is put on after the armor coating you would need to carefully score (not cut through) the coating so it will shear off at the score line. When you refinish the prop this area fills in nicely and is not noticeable.
                        On another note - the FAA does allow repair to wooden non airworthy props if the repair is done per the FAR's. (regulations)
                        Also from the original question - I do not have any info on serial number to determine the age of the propellers which is a real bummer.
                        Bob

Comment

Bob,

Thanks much!

Hope to save another beautiful Flottorp prop!

Happy Easter!

Joe

Comment

Working...
                          X