Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request to have assistance recognising a propeller mantle clock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request to have assistance recognising a propeller mantle clock.

I recently acquired a wooden propeller hub mantle clock. It has a rather ornate carved base and is marked with a series of number and letter sequences on the top of the 8 hole large propeller boss centrepiece. I do not know anything about this item and am dearly hoping that someone can shed some light on its type, age and original history etc......
    The markings which appear to be stamped in dark ink capitals are;
    G.703. N42 Y.503 D.2743. P.2655 130HP. CLERGET.

The prop and base are in lovely condition (mahogany I think) and the clock movement (Newhaven Trademark USA movement with large convex glass door) whilst having no face or hands does still tick away.

I could provide a photographic image if required.
    Any information on this item would be appreciated, especially as I do intend to sell it on to a home where it would be much more greatly appreciated. To this end I do not wish to either give it away though nor mislead any prospective purchaser.

Thank you in advance for your input.

It was designed for use on an AVRO 504 with a 130 HP Clerget engine.

It may be worth a few hundred dollars, but it's not a particularly rare or unusual object. Bob Gardner might be able to give you a better idea of its value and/or its date of manufacture.
    Dave

Comment

It's from an AVRO 504, as Dave says; The K model which was used as the RAF's basic trainer from 1917 to the early 1930's.

Its value in the UK at auction is about £200 GBP.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

To Dave and to Bob,
        May I express a huge thank you. I obviously chose the right forum to ask for advice. I am now armed (and possibly dangerous) with the information I needed to best describe the propeller mantle clock.
        I now just need to establish the best way to market it, be it E-Bay or a different method.
        Thank you again for all information given.
        Kindest regards,
        kanda

Comment

Working...
        X