Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamilton-Matthews Bros 8' 8" navy prop...Norf. Va. Basement find..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton-Matthews Bros 8' 8" navy prop...Norf. Va. Basement find..

Hello, Ive found out a little about The Hamilton/Matthews Bros furniture co. story, but cant find much more than that about this prop.I found it in a basement in Norfolk va. yesterday.Im not sure if numbers can be seen in pics,but decal &most numbers are clear...I would appreciate any info on it,or maybe somewhere to look,,...thanks
    Attached Files

It's half of a 4-blade prop for the HS1 flying boat operated by the US Navy in the late teens and early twenties. The notching in the hub mates with a similar prop.

Matthews manufactured a large number of props for various planes at that time, and Tom Hamilton was the manager of the company. He went on to form his own company, Hamilton Aero which soon afterward merged with Standard Steel to become Hamilton Standard.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave,.. I had read a little about Mr.Hamilton, and the Matthews bros. furniture co. making the props..buyig theyre surplus etc., Very interesting..this being a navy town, Im sure theyre are plenty of relics and "treasures"(lol)around the area to be found..This ones pretty crusty,.should i think about restoration..or is it destined for the junkpile..??...Eveything ive read says definetly not to clean it,...

Comment

Originally posted by buckroe steve View Post
        Thanks Dave,.. I had read a little about Mr.Hamilton, and the Matthews bros. furniture co. making the props..buyig theyre surplus etc., Very interesting..this being a navy town, Im sure theyre are plenty of relics and "treasures"(lol)around the area to be found..This ones pretty crusty,.should i think about restoration..or is it destined for the junkpile..??...Eveything ive read says definetly not to clean it,...
        If you want it to look different but lose 2/3rds of its value then you might look at "restoring" it. It just makes the original ones that you don't own that much more valuable.
        Dave

Comment

That sounds like a no on the restoration,..I would have no clue on value..are these props common nowadays,scarce???..anything ive learned was from combing this site & wiki...I would like to find out any info on it to see if there would be any interest in it from a collector.....thanks,steve

Comment

The problem with that one is that in reality it is only half of the propeller. I've seen one matched set (different model, but a 4 blade combo) that was unfortunately sold off as separate props. Still, it's a nice display propeller and with original decals and original condition I would expect it to sell on eBay, for instance, for somewhere in the $1000 range, and perhaps higher. It won't likely sell to a "collector" for that, however.
            Dave

Comment

Wow..maybe I should look for the other half..lol..I do hvac & this was in the cellar crawl of an old boarded up house that one of my houseflipping customers had bought,,the place was packed with crap..I saw this & said.."mine"..lots of old coke stuff too...thanks for the info..&.if anyone has any interest in this prop, contact me,..Thanks for your time Dave,..Steve

Comment

A few more pics in the light

I wanted to get a few better pics so,for a few minutes,I brought it outside. I wanted to be able to show prop better..I also found another"hidden" decal on the other side of wing(see pic) I tried to avoid the glare..I wanted to see if I should post for sale on here,if theres any interest,before trying ebay(not a huge fan) but i know that it reaches a much broader range of people.I found out that the HS1 was the first version of that type of plane,if that means anything,... H Hydroplane S single engine 1 version one.Just going by what ive read..but i still cant find any other like it in pics anywhere, other than mounted on planes from old pics,..anyway,..I wanted to see if a better view might help in your determination on it(condition,.good?? Bad?.wreck?.)...Ill post more
                Attached Files

Comment

The light was very harsh outside...honestly the thing is awesome when you really look at it ,..compared to todays tech.,....it looks pre-historic....

Comment

I havent even wiped it with a cloth,,wet or dry

Comment

At the very least you can gently wipe it with mild detergent and water and apply pure beeswax after it dries. Just don't remove any of the existing varnish, and be careful not to get wax on the raw wood surface where it has delaminated.

There will be a curved surface and a flat surface, the curved being the side facing the airflow. It looks from the photos that this is the rear blade, but I can't be sure.
                      Dave

Comment

Both of the decals are on the same side as the square "chock " ..looking fitting. Like I had said before,..I couldnt see it until I brought it outside..one facing up, the other down,,I agree I think that this is the rear,..makes sense,with the round plate looking piece facing the engine.I had also thought that it was stamped 19?4,..but it was actually USN upside down....haha..im going to take some good ,well lit inside pics with my good camera,...these were from my tablet & you cant zoom as good...Im going to try on here as far as selling interest,before anywhere else.....im going to make(or attempt) your shipping crate...this thing is pretty sturdy feeling yet fragilee at the same time..

Comment

Working...
                        X