Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification of Propeller

Hi there

My husband has been cleaning out a shed at his parents home and has found 4 wooden propeller blades with a yellow tip. They are roughly 4 ft in length and have the following numbers on them:

RWO 49086
    RA 10379/RTS

I'd really appreciate any information you are able to give to help us to identify these.

Many thanks

Kath

Would you please post pictures? That may be very helpful. Are the four blades joined at a hub or are they separated?

Lamar

Comment

Hi Lamar

Thanks for your response.

The 4 blades are separated. Sorry, don't have any pictures but will take some tomorrow when I go to the in-laws house.

Thanks

Kath

Comment

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

Hi Lamar

Please see attached photos, as requested.

Kath

Comment

I don't quite know what to make of these. It's possible they are wooden adjustable blades with the adjustment mechanism removed. I've not ever seen that. From the end view they appear to be made from a solid piece of wood rather than laminated; I've never seen a solid wood prop blade either. It also appears they were cut with a fairly course saw blade and not finished out.

Lamar

Comment

Thanks for your post Lamar. My husband has told me that the other 3 blades are round at the end, as this one appears to have been roughly cut (as you said). I will get pictures of the other 3 as soon as I can, as they were at the very back of the shed and I couldn't reach them.

Thanks again

Kath

Comment

Hopefully someone else will share their knowledge.

Comment

'Morning Kath,

These blades are from a late model of Spitfire, the Mk XIV, which had five blades powered by the Rolls Royce Griffon 65. The navalised version of the same aircraft was the Seafire Mk 18.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Bob Gardner
                Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob

Thank you ever so much for your post, it's much appreciated.

I will pass your information onto my husband, who will be delighted I'm sure.

Kind regards

Kath

Comment

Hi Bob

Do you have any idea of value for these propeller blades please? My husband wants to sell them but we have no idea of an appropriate price for them.

Regards

Kath

Comment

Kath,

Sorry for being slow to reply.

The value of your props has been reduced because the gearing at the base, which adjusted the pitch of the prop, has been removed; a common occurence because with it in place lifting it was quite difficult for one person to lift the prop.

If you offer them on eBay, I think they should sell for around £100-150 GBP.

With kind regards,

Bob
                      Bob Gardner
                      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
                      X