Gardner Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardner Propeller

My father in-law has had a propeller mounted on his wall for years. The prop was given to him by a friend years ago who just had it in his garage. He's moving out of state soon and asked me if I wanted it or could sell it for him.

I wanted more info on the prop, so, I started hunting. I was quickly led here.

I took the attached pictures a few weeks ago, but *before* I read the instructions about the proper way of photographing a prop. So, sorry about the weird perspectives. I can get better pix if desired.

The text stamped into the prop is X'd out for some reason (see attached), but I could make out the following:
    ---
    DES. 491
    SER. 41073
    A.T.C. 710

MAX. H.P. 80
    MAX R.P.M. 2700
    ---

The info I've garnered from this site is that this prop fit a "Continental 75 hp" engine. What kind of airplanes had those? Also, why might the prop's text info be X'd out? From the few postings about them, Gardner Props are somewhat rare. How come?

I found other info about this and other Gardner props on another site. (see attached gif.)

I have to admit, although I'm interested in its history, I can't say I would fully appreciate this propeller like a collector might...not to mention how my wife wouldn't want it hanging in our apartment. Suggestions? I can't see just throwing this on Ebay.

Thanks much.

Christopher
    Attached Files

I'm guessing that the stamped information was x'd out during the manufacturing or inspection process because it was found to be unairworthy for some reason. I can't tell from the photo, but if there is no "ghost" of a steel compression plate around the bolt holes then it's unlikely the propeller was ever used, and might very well have been salvaged by a worker at the factory to use as a display propeller. Sensenich, which still makes wooden propellers, still saves factory rejects, simply stamping them as "not airworthy" and selling them as display props.

It's not a particularly collectible propeller, although as you say Gardner props are relatively less common, but you can bet that someone would like to own it, particularly as it still has intact decals. I think eBay is still your best bet for locating a buyer, as it exposes it to the largest number of viewers, and final bids tend to reflect actual "market" values, if there is such a thing.
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X