WW1 propeller blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 propeller blade

I have discovered a blade from the propeller of an early WW1 British plane. The blade does not include the hub unfortunately, but there are some markings on the root of the blade. They include the British broad-arrow and B.E.12 along with the decal of F.Tibbenham, Ipswich. Attached are some pictures. I would like to hear any comments that the members may have about this piece, specifically it's age, what aircraft it may have been used on. I am new to the field of collecting airplane propellers. It is a facinating field. I can see how someone could get hooked on the subject.
    My thanks to Dave in directing me to this forum.Billpropellers 013.jpg

PS: I would also like to know the value of this item.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blcman; 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM.

Tibbenham prop blade for a BE12

The Powerhouse Museum in Sydney, Australia has an identical blade mounted for display, as mine is. I am wondering if broken prop blades were commonly marketed for such.

Comment

Originally posted by blcman View Post
      The Powerhouse Museum in Sydney, Australia has an identical blade mounted for display, as mine is. I am wondering if broken prop blades were commonly marketed for such.
      Yes, broken blades and pieces of props (often the hub itself) were typically retained as souvenirs and often carved or otherwise modified into various forms of trench art. Many blades were saved simply as decorative souvenirs, and IMHO should be kept that way at this point rather than trying to alter them.
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X