ID help on a wooden Sensenich prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID help on a wooden Sensenich prop

My father has a wooden Sensenich propeller on display in his house that was given to him by his grandmother, who got it from a man who apparently bought the prop for his son who was then killed and he no longer wanted it. The man said the prop had never been used--it's in fantastic condition. My parents can't remember what year they were given the prop--possibly Christmas of 1980. I've done some research, but want to make sure I'm correct in the assumptions I have.

The Sensenich logo is the wings with "Sensenich" printed across them, with Lancaster, PA as the place of manufacture. It has 6 bolts, and the numbers on the front at the top of the bolt area are Z6288 (there is also a "1" at the 9 o'clock position, and a "2" at the 3 o'clock position--not sure if these mean anything?). From what I've read, the Z6288 indicates that the prop was made sometime between 7/79 and 5/80--but if my parents got it at Christmas of 1980, it was made sometime from July to December 1979.

The markings on the top of the propeller are:

P.C. No. 1
    T.C. No. 691
    W72CK42

My dad's grandmother told my dad that the prop was for a Piper, which is consistent with the W72CK42. The man who gave it to my great-grandmother told her that it was one of the last wooden propellers that Sensenich made--is this true? I wasn't sure what the PC or TC numbers indicate, if anything. My dad doesn't plan to sell the prop, but was curious as to its worth as well. Any insight is appreciated!

As far as I know Sensenich is still manufacturing that model of propeller. If it's airworthy it would probably sell for somewhere around $800 or so. If used as a display prop, probably less than half of that.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by jei8w View Post
      ... The man who gave it to my great-grandmother told her that it was one of the last wooden propellers that Sensenich made--is this true?
      Untrue - As Dave implies, Sensenich makes wooden props to this day.

Lamar

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. Are all my findings about the prop correct, like the year of manufacture? Do the other numbers (the TC number, the 1 and 2 on the front) mean anything?

Comment

The TC number refers to the Type Certificate, which defines the manufacturing details and the applicable uses for certificated aircraft.
          Dave

Comment

Yes, your manufacturing dates are correct.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
            X