Restoration/conservation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration/conservation question

Please may I ask a question concerning restoration vs conservation of WW1 era propellers.

In one of the “sticky” posts Bob Gardener suggests not to restore a prop, leave it completely alone to avoid the risk of physical or financial damage - and I totally understand the reasons why.

However, in another post (concerning a four-blade prop from an SE5) there is this:

A dealer, as I once was, will clean, tidy, repair and repolish the prop, which will cost him about £500 GBP and he will offer it for sale

Please could I ask for some practical guidance concerning where “clean, tidy and repolish” stops and becomes restoration. I am only asking as I am looking at buying a four blade SE5 prop. I can’t see it has had any attention since leaving service, it has original (tatty) fabric and original varnish/shellac finish. The wood appears quite dry and I am wondering if a polish with pure beeswax would be a sensible suggestion to avoid the risk of cracking.

Any advice gratefully received.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 11-29-2019, 06:10 AM.

Hello Gabriel,

My thoughts on antique props date from when I was a dealer in these items, this about fifteen years ago. I advertised that I wanted to buy wooden props.

A good proportion of those I was offered had been restored, quite often badly, and often recently done pending my arrival. These sellers thought that their dusty and half-derelict prop would make much more if it was newly painted with shiny poly-urethane varnish. Some sanded the blades and hubs, almost removing the decals and the data.

Others had done this many years before, thinking that they were improving their prop. All these people were astonished that I didn't want to buy theirs.

So my opening statement is that a WW1 prop in original condition might well have flown over the Western Front and have scratches, dents, some oil stains and the fabric (Irish Linen) might have flaking paint and lots of wear marks.
    These are in effect a litany of its use in WW1. They reflect what happened to it. With such props we cleaned them and polished them two or three times with bees wax. (NB I mean pure bees wax with no additives out of a tin. Many modern polishes contain bees wax and modern additives which can react with 100 year old varnish, causing a bloom.)

So, I advise owners not to remove the original finish and linen.

Of course there will be props that have sat in an attic for decades and been knocked about, with delaminations as the planks that make up the prop separate.

I used to buy those as well and my restorer would separate the laminations, clean the old glue away, let in new wood where there were losses, and then reassemble the prop and recover with Irish Linen. (I used to buy old Irish Linen bed sheets from Ireland). We would sell the prop with an account of what we had done, with photographs of before and during restoration.

It is entirely up to you what you do with your prop. Our collective advice from this forum is to keep such rare items as WW1 aircraft props in original condition, but if it has deteriorated over time so that the linen is hanging off and the laminations are separating you should either not buy it or you should carefully conserve it.

Good luck!

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I'll add my thoughts to Bob's.

"Restored" props are not all that hard to find (including types like the SE 5), but props in fully original condition can be very hard to find. I say "fully" original because many of them have had some attempt at restoration, which is almost always visible to a knowledgeable buyer. So my advice to anyone who wants to tackle a restoration project is to find one that's already been restored and do a better job of it.

I can't recall ever seeing a propeller sell cheaply because it was in original and often tattered condition. I've seen many sell for less than they would in good condition, but not less than one that has been stripped and re-varnished.

And I think that every time someone restores a prop, the value of an original one for that aircraft increases.

Comment

Many thanks for your replies and sage advice.

I have one last question - what would be your thoughts on conservation vs restoration? By that I mean leaving the propeller as original as possible but stopping any further degradation.

One of the propellers I am looking at appears to be quite dry and, taking on board all of your points about “do no harm”, should I consider mitigating the risk of cracking? Would a couple of applications of pure bees wax be a sensible precaution, or would you literally do nothing apart from hanging it on the wall and admiring it?

Comment

I think protecting it with good beeswax is perfectly acceptable and will likely prevent much of the effects of moisture change in the future. It won't actually restore moisture content in wood that's already dry but it will inhibit moisture shifts back and forth as ambient humidity changes, so in that sense it's likely to help preserve its current condition.

Basically, you are treating it like genuine antique furniture.

Comment

Gabriel,

If you are buying props in England I am happy to offer advice.

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
              Gabriel,

If you are buying props in England I am happy to offer advice.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your kind offer, I'm sure I'll be in touch in due course.

With kind regards,

Gabriel

Comment

Working...
              X