Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of air craft was this used on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of air craft was this used on?

Hi I have had a wooden propeller since I was a boy given to me by a old gentleman who lived near by. This is the information off the propeller. It is 8'0" long. Has brass covering on the tips . It reads the following

Lang Propeller NO. 3945 Pitch 1.680 Dia 2.489 DR.NO.3.L.74L.H.

Curtiss OXX. of to the side of the hub is N.13852

There is a decale on one side which on the outer edge that reads on one side
    Lang propeller co (on the other side of the triangle) of America INC

I did find out that the Curtiss OXX engines were a early water cooled V-8 aero engine dervived from the curtiss OX.

The man I got it from told me when i was a boy that he was a ground mechanic in France and brought this back after world war I.

My question is is there a way to determine what kind of air craft this propeller was on as the gasket and balancing pins are still with it. So it was used on something. Any one able to point me to finding out this question? And also what its worth might be. Oh he was in the rickenbocker squadron.

A photo might be helpful, but at first blush I don't recognize the stampings. I'll need to look into it a little further, but available information on those is limited.

The left hand rotation and the decal on the rear surface certainly suggest a pusher configuration, and metal sheathing was almost a necessity on the various flying boats that often used that configuration.
    Dave

Comment

This prop was used on the Curtiss OXX engine which was fitted to the Curtiss Model F and the Curtiss ND. The ND was a variant of the JN4 Jenny used by the USN, with a single central float, and as Lang made props for the USN, this prop is very probably from that aircraft.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X