Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I Buy??!

Hello!

I was out and about today searching for old propellers and vintage aircraft instruments. On the backroads I stumbled upon a small town antique store and picked up 2 propellers. Just wanted to get some info on them and what they could be worth?

McCauley Propeller (Measures over 80 inches) (Metal with white striped tips)
    Des No. IA200/Type Cert 874 Prod Cert 3/Des No 152712/Serial No. IB002#

Sensenich Corp. Propeller (Measures about 40 inches) (Wooden with red tips)
    P/N-22008/Moedel No. 276-1/Serial No. 4750

Both propellers are in good condition. The McCauley is not bent or chipped but appears to have decent wear and tear on the leading edge. The Sensenich wooden prop is in good condition, the wood is not cracked or separating.

Any info would be helpful like what planes these came off of and value

Cheers,

Jake

Photos attached
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't know about the metal prop, but the wooden one is a common UAV (drone) propeller, used on aircraft similar to this one. I believe that U.S. Propellers manufactured an identical model with the same model number.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the input! I found some information on the wooden prop as well. Still it sure about the metal prop

I am going to look at a few wooden props tomorrow. What should I look for? Which brands/company's in specific would be worth while buying? I'm new to bui g props and as a pilot myself just want to start collect vintage aviation props and instruments

Comment

Originally posted by propellerJake View Post

I am going to look at a few wooden props tomorrow. What should I look for? Which brands/company's in specific would be worth while buying? I'm new to bui g props and as a pilot myself just want to start collect vintage aviation props and instruments
          There is a steep gradient between pre WW1 props and modern style wooden propellers. You're not likely to just stumble on a pre WW1 prop, and even WW1 era props are quite rare, particularly in original condition, which carries the highest values.

A good guide if you are in the market is to follow eBay, search "wooden propeller" (singular, not plural) then click on "Completed listings" on the bottom left, which will show a variety of props and their actual purchase price as well as props that never met the opening bid. You'll also note over time that a large number of propellers are offered at ridiculous opening bids and they linger on eBay for months, probably never selling at all. (Keep in mind that sale prices seem to go up before Christmas then settle back down.)

Comment

Working...
          X