Large unknown WWI ? propeller hub with clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large unknown WWI ? propeller hub with clock

I have a propeller hub with clock that weighs about 20 pounds. The wood density is approx 55 lbs/cu. ft. (heavy). The propeller is 9 laminations about .8 inches thick and the whole hub is 7 1/8 inches (181mm) thick. The bolt holes are about .685 inches dia. (11/16 inch or 17.4mm). The bolt circle is nominally 7.45 inches. The hub is bored out for a nominally 2.955 inch (75mm) prop shaft. The hub O.D. is 10.625 inches (270mm).It has a Kiel (German) clock in the center. I have about 3 more photos I can email(or all 8 if that helps). It is obviously a larger than average propeller. I think it came to the US via England and was bought at auction. On the back of the hub there are two very hard to read numerals "07" which could easily be "D5" or something else. I would like to know just what have I got?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jack E. Werner; 12-10-2009, 06:06 PM. Reason: Add and correct information

There really isn't enough information there to determine a likely match for a specific engine or aircraft.

There were thousands of different propeller designs, with variations in shape, length, pitch, and hub dimensions. Even with that information it can be difficult to know what the propeller might have been used on.
    Dave

Comment

WWI propeller clock?

Dave,
      Did you see the updated version of my propeller specs or the original? I added the bore size of the hub and other details. My thought would be there must be a very finite number of engines that would fit this propeller. It appears to be a very dense hardwood and the bore size (75mm) and bolt circle and bolt size should fit just so many engines. Still there is a possibility of making a special hub to take the propeller which leaves an opening for almost any big engine. I also wondered if the clock was perhaps aircraft. It is pretty crudely done.
      Jack Werner

Comment

That bolt circle size (7.45") doesn't match anything I have listed in the WW1 engines, but our database is very limited.
        Dave

Comment

WWI propeller clock?

Dave,
          Thanks for the reply. My measurements are all very nominal. The bolt circle could easily be 7 and 7/16 inches or something close to a logical mm size say 188 mm or 190 mm. Without pulling the plug(s) out of one or two of the plugged bolt holes it is hard to tell if holes haven't been drilled oversize before plugging. I sort of think of the hub and clock as a close cousin to what is called trench art. The clock hole seems to be chiselled into the hub and it is not exactly round. The other mystery is the clock. Is it aircraft or a car clock? The hub bore being 75mm could be ours or theirs so as you say anything is possible. It is a large propeller so probably off a big engine, but as you say, anything is possible. The plan is to clean and oil the clock and hang it on my wall. At the end of the day it is still a nice artifact.
          Regards,
          Jack Werner

Comment

Quite a few years ago now I decided to give up my chosen-at-that-time profession and decided to buy, sell and repair clocks for the public. After a few years I returned to my current profession.

This clock is neither auto nor aircraft clock; either of these would use protruding knobs for winding and adjusting rather than a key, and an enclosed case to keep dust out rather than a case that opened to the front as this one does.

I cannot see the details of the clock mechanism but from the overall appearance it looks like a pretty standard "fit up" movement from the 1930's. The dial seems ti indicate the maker but very much more likely this man bought clock faces in quantity with his name on them to fit the movement. Clocks like this one were fitted to nearly anything with a hole in it such as decorative ware, statuary, even openings in a wall.

Hope this helps some.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
            X