Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please,8 foot long prop to id

Hi all

Would like to try and id and value this prop please.
    Sadly my dad left it to us in his will and don't really know what to do with it at the moment.

It's about 8 feet long and 8 inches thick, laminated out of 7 pieces of wood (mahogony?)

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks for your time
    Attached Files

It cannot be identified just from that information and photos, and its value is going to depend partly on what's underneath the decorative covering on the hub. You'd need to remove that and also look for any identifying numbers to even begin to narrow it down.
    Dave

Comment

Greetings Ecophon,

Your prop has a French WW1 look to it. Similar props were also made by the British for aircraft and engines that they had bought from France. The diameter of eight feet, which translates as around 2400mm, together with the French look suggests that it might be from a SPAD S7.

If it is French or British there will be data stamped on the side of the hub. Please tell us what is stamped there. If it is French the serie number, will enable us to identify it. If British, there will be a drawing number such as AB765. In both cases numbers begining with D and P, for diameter and pitch, will also help.

I look forward to your reply.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks very much guys.

Found some writing that I hadn't seen - it's really quite faint and on the side.
        It says, or as much as I can make out, and in the lines it's written......

HISPANO
        OLSE VIPER

D2400 PI1750

And under the hub is stamped 11626

Thanks again

Comment

Looks like it was made for a Wolsely Viper engine, a variation of the HIspano Suiza. I'm not sure how many aircraft that engine was used on, it's the right diamter (2400mm) for both an SE5A and a SPAD 7. It looks like the pitch is 1750, though, and the listing I have for the SE5A and the SPAD shows a pitch of 1800.

Some of this may be lost in terminology, however, in the listings I have. Maybe Bob Gardner can narrow it down further. In the meantime, here's a link to the general information about the Wolsely Viper engine.
          Dave

Comment

Good Evening Ecophon,

Your prop is of French design but built in England. Similarly the Hispano-Suiza engine is of French design built in England under licence as the Wolseley Viper.

The Viper engine rated at 180hp was used with a diameter of 2400mm and pitch of 1750mm on both the SE5A and the SPAD S7. The 200hp Viper engine had a prop of the same diameter but slightly more pitch, the 1800mm to which Dave refers.

In terms of value, here in England it would sell at auction for about 800-1200 GBP, about 1400 USD to 2000 USD. Dave will be able to advise better than me on likely US prices.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Can't thank you fellas enough!

Cheers for all the help, and what an interesting forum to visit!

Comment

Working...
              X