Paragon DE840-C Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paragon DE840-C Wooden Propeller

I have a Paragon Model DE840-C Wooden Propeller with markings on the other side of T010-1.

Does anyone know anything about this and an approximate value?

Thank you very much.

Rich

Paragon for sale!

Greetings, If you could send some pics and dimensions, I would be willing to make an offer for its purchase. I can be reached at msprior01@gmail.com
    Thanks, Scott

Comment

I'd love to see a photo. Those are unusual stampings for a Paragon, although it may be a later post war model. Does it have American Propeller Co. decals, or is there some other manufacturer's marking?
      Dave

Comment

Paragon Prop

Dave,

I will post some pics today.

Rich

Comment

Paragon Model DES40-C Wooden Propeller

As promised, attached are the pics of the propeller that I have.

The center mount hole is approximatley 2 3/4" with a 6 bolt pattern and the back side measurement is 11". The length is 76".

Any interest or information would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, it certainly looks to be more "modern" than most Paragons, which were primarily manufactured during and shortly after WW1. I'm assuming that based on its general appearance, length, and number of bolt holes. To my knowledge there is no reference available that will tie that design number to a specific application, unfortunately.

I'm not sure when American Propeller Co. went out of business, although I've always presumed that it was in the mid to late twenties.
            Dave

Comment

Worth

Thanks Dave,

Any thoughts on it's worth?

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by rburch2003 View Post
                Thanks Dave,

Any thoughts on it's worth?

Rich
                Well, I'd need to see a close up of the manufacturer's emblems (is it a decal, or a stamping?), and ideally it would help a lot to know what it was used on, although that may not be possible.
                Dave

Comment

Identification

Thanks Dave.

I will post some close up pics.

Here's one I have.

Rich
                  Attached Files

Comment

So I'm guessing that it's 1920's vintage, perhaps later. Original condition is a big plus, and it's not as ordinary looking as some of the modern props you see selling on eBay.

Lately the prices of actual sales on eBay seem to have risen fairly dramatically. You search under "Wooden propeller" and then click on the "Completed Items" category to see some recent sales. I would say that your propeller would be comparable to some of those modern ones in value. That certainly doesn't necessarily mean that you would be able to sell it for that amount.
                    Dave

Comment

Update

Thanks Dave for all of your help!

Have a great weekend.

Rich

Comment

Hey Rich, first of all, congratulations on the fact that you have such a great prop in your possession. Just looking at the photos you have posted, somebody has really taken great care to preserve the finish on the wood, it hasnt been stripped, yet the over all condition has a certain patina that is most desirable. That being said, as I prefer the fat wide chord structure of the props from S & S, seeing this type of paragon prop has given me something else to think about as far as collecting. Purely, just offering my 8 cents worth, if you are not hard up for the money, I would suggest that you keep this prop, propellers of this quality and vintage are really worth keeping rather than just going for the money.

But as with all things, if its taking up more space than you can spare, I will keep an eye on this thread to see what utlimately happens to this particular prop. I really like this particular style of prop. I would also like to know the story of how this prop fell into your hands, I always appreciate a good story.

Sincerely,
                        Dennis Hicklin

Comment

Paragon Prop

Dennis,

I have actually had this prop since the 1990's. When the girlfriend and I split up, I ended up with the prop!

It never asked what time I'm coming home....etc! Just kidding!

I really would like to sell it since I have enough things that I really don't need after downsizing in the housing areana.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts regarding this item. I'll bet it would look great at your place!

I'm located outside of Traverse City, MI....how about you?

Thanks,

Rich

Comment

Hey rich, thanks for geting back to me, I would almost bet that Msprior is going to really go after that prop in a serious manner, being that props of that nature can and have fetched some serious money. I only have two props in my posession currently. Being that I have been around the aviation arena all of my life, I am partial to such items, how ever in the past I have been able to incorporate such props into kinetic sculpture so that the prop can live and act the way it was meant to be, hanging in a custom made gimbal bracket to let it spin when moved by hand. how ever, the finished product ( sculpture ) is on the spendy side, the prop then gets to absorb the palm oils from the hands that spin it. As far it it looking great at my place, this house is at its limit for more wooden orphan time pieces that need a home. In other words, this house is full of antiques from A to Z, all catagories. ( clutter ).

As stated, I will keep an eye on the progress of this prop that you have. How ever, if you were to drag that prop out to the sea plane base at oshkosh this summer where I have the t shirt concession, cash talks. I dont want to infringe on any perspective buyers at this point, but lets just say, I find that prop of yours to be most interesting.

Keep in touch.

Sincerely.
                            Dennis Hicklin
                            Seattle washington.
                            Last edited by D.Hicklin; 01-23-2012, 03:07 AM.

Comment

did the prop sell?

Hey Rich.
                              I was curious if you sold your paragon prop, and if so, what was the final price if I may ask. To me it was in great condition. To know the final price would be helpful to me in regards as to how to properly evaluate this particular type of prop in the future.

Sincerely,
                              Dennis Hicklin
                              Seattle Washington

Comment

Working...
                              X