Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auction Win - I love it, but what is it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction Win - I love it, but what is it ?

I have managed to score a beauty at Auction : some previous owner had converted the prop into a ....Plant stand ! Not my choice......

It is only the half blade (no hub) but there are plenty of clues.

"Constructed specially for Sopwith Aviation Co" appears in gold lettering below Lang crest which states "Lang Propeller Pat No 28253.09.works Weybridge"

The tips are almost square and fully sheathed in brass for over 50 cms. The rivets do not penetrate to the other side.

Other markings at the base read ADP LP and Pat no 20751.09.

I know that a little learning can be dangerous but this looks like it could be either very early prop , perhaps even a Naval Puller Prop. No archive Sopwith photos have this shaped blade, but it IS like the one on the Lang shield.

The provenance suggests it came from an aircraft shot down in WW1in Baghdad, but I cannot find any reference to Sopwith aircrat being used in this theatre.

Anyway , I love it , and have been trawling the web for 2 days to get this far and would appreciate any feedback ( I also have run the Gurling thread following a google search on the pat No's). My daughter will show me how to upload a picture of the newly polished brass tip minus plant stand,

cheers, Tom (UK)
    Last edited by tomsocket; 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM.

Finally - Shot from auction booklet

Here is a photo showing the Plant stand - the photo shows the reflection of the top piede, and vertical support screwed into either side of the brass(!). I have since removed it, and (sorry Bob) brought up the brass to remove the massive water staining. The soldering that is revealed around the entire edge is superb.

I shall try for a close up of the Lang decal.

Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tomsocket; 11-23-2009, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Hello Tom,

I can't identify your prop but the brass sheathing suggests that it was made for a float-plane or a pusher aircraft. The Lang prop company was the principal maker of props for Sopwith, who later bought the company in 1917 to become their in-house prop maker.

This type of sheathing was only fitted, I think, to the Sopwith Schneider and the early Sopwith Baby, both float-planes made for the Royal Navy early in WW1.

I look forward to your photo of the decal. Perhaps you could copy it to my e-mail address?

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Grateful thanks for the Information - the search continues

Bob, I really appreciate your response, and am enjoying tracking this down ! I shall attempt to post the decal, and just a cursory search this evening has revealed a promising photo of the Sopwith Baby (Schneider derivative) listed on the Virtual Aircraft museum site.

This is the one I shall be "bragging about" until further research proves/disproves otherwise.

More from me when I have it,

Thank you for all your help, and ionspiration,
        Tom
        Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
        X