Hi help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi help needed

Hi sorry I'm new to this forum and needs some help.
    I brought this on Sunday and wondered if you could tell me all about this.
    The guy said it used to have a clock in it
    Attached Files

I don't have my reference materials handy, but when I do it should be easy to identify by its drawing number AB728. I suspect that the "W.D.O." refers to WD Oddy, the manufacturer.

Comment

'Morning Stuart,

This hub data dates from around 1918 and came from a four-bladed prop designed for the Handley Page O/400 bomber. It was designed for the Rolls-Royce Eagle engine but shortages of this engine led to others being used including the 200hp Hispano-Suiza engine.

Your data translate as:
      AB728: the drawing number of the propeller, designed by the Air Board.
      Left Hand: the direction of rotation. The RR engines were handed to prevent swing on take off.
      Hispano Suiza: the French engine of 200hp.
      D2740: the diameter in mm.
      P2730: the pitch in mm.
      WDO: This might well be the initials of WD Oddy, a firm making propellers in Leeds but they normally stamped their name in full as WD Oddy and sometimes as Oddy and I have not recorded any other similar props made by Oddy, but they probably made this one.

Comparatively few HP O/400s were made with the Hisso 200hp engine so it is unlikely that you will ever see another, but such rarity does not affect its value which is comparatively low.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X