Can't find info on Hartzell Wood Propeller # 44759

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find info on Hartzell Wood Propeller # 44759

Hi, I am looking for help finding info on this particular propeller I bought on a garage sale. It was carved on front/middle to fit a clock. Nice way to damage a piece of history, huh? I looked at some pictures and found it on notplanejane.com, the Collection Era 1929-1948. It seems to be a variable pitch modern propeler because it has 6 bolt holes, the word Hartzell engraved on the copper along leading edge (both sides) and the number 44759 stamped on the wood, on the back, between the bolt holes, above the balance weights. However I am not an expert on this matter, nor have the slightests knowledge about this subject, so I am looking for help. I do love history and it looks as if this piece has a lot of it. If anyone has any info on it or know where can I find it, I will greatly apreciate it.

That's a shame someone butchered the hub.

It isn't a variable pitch prop but a fixed pitch prop. The 44759 may be the serial number but is of no help as the Hartzell serial numbers list no longer exists. Please look carefully on the edges of the hub and on the blades near the hub for design number markings. Hopefully the design number wasn't removed from the hub.

The six bolt holes indicates it was made for a light plane like perhaps a Piper, Aeronca, etc.

What is the diameter (length)? What are you referring to as balance weights?

Lamar

Comment

Hi Lamar and thank you for answering to my SOS. Yes, it is a real shame they did messed the hub and also that the Hartzell serial list no longer exists. I looked in the hub again and also on the blades however did not find anything more than the name "Hartzell". That's how I knew the manufacturer. Please do not mind me on the "weights", I don't know what I am talking about. I was refering to 6 clearly marked circles on the back of the hub between the bolt holes.
      The lenth of this propeller is 6' and the diameter of the inside of the hub is 5 1/4".

This is what I found so far: This were made between 1929 and 1948. Look at the one on the extreme left and tell me what you feel... Once again thank you,

Jose

Comment

The prop on the far left is a fixed pitch prop, the other three are variable pitch props. In a variable pitch prop the blades can rotate in the metal part of the hub to change pitch.

The circles you see on the back of the hub on your prop are no doubt impressions made in the wood by the crush plate of the metal hub used to mount your prop on an airplane.

The 72 inch diameter further indicates that the prop is for a light aircraft. Without a specific design number I can't get closer to a more definite ID.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
        X