Gipsy Major Prop Identification Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gipsy Major Prop Identification Request

Hello all, I am a flight instructor and Air Cadet ground school instructor in Edmonton, Canada. I obtained a wooden prop today from a generous Co. for the purpose of showing what a propeller/air screw looks like to pilot candidates/cadets in ground school. The prop is not in very good shape and has some of the tip missing on one end but it suits my purposes well and it adds character and begs the question of what is the history of this propeller. As you might know Wop May is from my town and in fact ran the training school I trained at, the Edmonton Flying Club. EFC used DH aircraft including the Moth and Chipmunk.

The prop I have has the following markings:

DRG HR 671 / R / 1
    Gispy Major 1.D
    D6 10 P.3-53

I can guess it was mounted on a Gipsy Major engine but as for the aircraft type I am tossed between a DeHavilland Chipmunk or Tiger Moth or something else.

I would like to know what aircraft this is from.

Photos of prop available on request.

Thank you for your help,

Rob
    dhpropguy

Hello Rob,

I regret that although I have extensive lists of drg nos for DH props, I can't tell which aircraft your prop is from although I can get close.

The diameter of your prop at 6'10" (6.83ft) is unique amongst DH props and therefore something out of the ordinary.

HR671/1 is listed with a Gipsy Major III engine and your diameter and pitch, but without an aircraft type. HR671/R is listed with a Gipsy Major Series 7 for an Auster 6 and 7, without any dimensions. Most Austers used the Cirrus engine and a prop of 6'4" diameter.

The unusual diameter and the scarce recorded data both suggest that your prop is something unusual, possibly from an Auster.

With regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Gipsy Major Prop Questions

Hi Bob, can you suggest anywhere else I could find more info? Would photos of the hub or prop blade help you at all?

I know Canada purchased the Auster but I am unsure it was operational in Edmonton or not. Is it too big for a Chipmunk or Moth?

Rob

Comment

Hello Rob,

You might try the de Havilland Heritage Centre
        http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/

Tell me if they know anything more.

Photos won't help, I'm afraid. The drg no is the vital bit of info. Tiger Moths had 6'4" props. I don't have a diameter for the Chipmunk but I note that both the DHC version and the British version both had the same prop drg no.

With regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

similair propellor

Rob,

I have just the same propller only in better shape. It's in nice condition only someone striped the black paint off.

How old is it ?? Is there all ready some more know about the unusual diameter 6'10" and aircraft it was fitted to??

I want to repaint it black with its orginal yellow tips, are there somewhere orginal or copies of orginals tranfser for sale.

regards

Peter

Comment

Hallo Peter,

There is little that I can help with. I do not recall seeing transfers or decals on any of these de Havilland propellers.

I think it is about sixty to sixty five years old and from the end of WW2.

The black paint should not be gloss or shiny nor should it be matt. It needs to be a satin finish.

I hope this small amount of information is of some help.

Met beste wensen voor het Nieuwe Jaar,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
            X