Prop Identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Identify

Soon to be an inheritance is this propeller from my inlaws house in England. The story is a few generations back it was found in a field behind their farm. It has been refinished, so there are no decals or paint markings anywhere on it, but it still has the stampings on the hub. Its an 8 Bolt pattern and approx 8ft 2in long. I couldnt get a straight on picture becuase it is hung in a tight stairway.

Based on what I can read from the stamp marks is: D 245 so diameter 2.45m, P 175 "pitch" and HP 80 REN so 80 HP.

This is all the info I have on it right now, and I wont see it for another year when I go to England or get it shipped to the US. [IMG][/IMG]

Hi,

As "RHP" has to mean "Right Hand Pusher", it is the rounded edge which is the leading edge. This rounded leading edge, and the two trailing edges aligned, look like a Chauvière, but markings are English, and maker abreviation would have to be "IPC" for a Chauvière. So, ?
    I have not "DG 76" nor "B27804" in my documentation.

"HP 80 REN " have to indicate a Renault V8 engine, which was sold with a power of 80HP from 1913 (IMHO, because in 1912 they were advertised for 70HP at 900rpm).

Anyway, seems to be a very old prop.
    I think we have to wait for Bob Gardner visiting this thread!

Regards,
    PM

Comment

that's some great investigate work. that gives me a start to see if I can find what this ultimately came from!

Comment

It is as Pierre-Michel states. It's a Chauviere design, instantly identifiable by the continuous straight line described by the trailing edge. It was made in France, almost certainly, and shipped to the English IPC company where the data was added.

The drg no 76 was properly written as IPC 76 (where IPC indicated the Integral Propeller Company) and refers to a prop designed for the Maurice Farman training aircraft.

I suspect that British IPC serial nos all began with B for Bretagne but several later IPC props had earlier serial nos than the B27804 on yours, so perhaps 27 indicates a type of prop or something along these lines.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi,

As usual, Bob got it! Some Farman pushers were fitted with Renault V8 80 HP engines from 1913, and used later as training aircrafts: MF 11, MF 40, MF 41 and probably others, as those ones were only the ones approved in France in 1917.

Regards,
          PM

Comment

Working...
          X