Darracq s/n 1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darracq s/n 1981

I have come across this propeller, RAF T6296 for an 4A engine on a BE12 aircraft, dated 3.4.17, craftsman G F SMITH. It has an AID stamp, but I couldn't read the detail. Is it possible to find out the tail number of the aircraft that used it and whether it saw any action?

Welcome to the forum Colin.

But I much regret we can't help. There is no record of which prop went to which aircraft. And at least ten props were made for each aircraft. When the aircraft was delivered it had one prop fitted and two spares. I have seen evidence of one aircraft using three props in the course of a week. Spares were held at squadron level, and then at successive stores depots at second and third line and in depots back in the UK.

One cause of losses of props was the necessary compromise between undercarriage and propeller. The undercarriage was fixed and had to be as short as possible to avoid drag. The prop, at least in 1913-1917 became progressively longer to transmit more power. The compromise resulted in a small gap between prop and the ground which necessitated a three point landing to give as much clearance as possible. But a slightly heavy landing which splayed the undercarriage legs slightly or an unseen hump in the grass or a new molehill could all damage the tip of a prop.

Dave Bahnson, who founded this forum, has an excellent analogy which is a car tyre. They are disposables and no one can attribute a tyre to a particular car.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Darracq prop

Bob,
      Thank you for your response - I was hoping to squeeze any more information out of what I already had. This propeller (see picture) is complete and apart from some minor tip damage is in good condition. The marks on the hub clearly show it has been fitted to an aircraft. Are there accredited restorers of these items?

Regards,
      Colin
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X