Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help ID 3 blade wood prop

Hello,
    I just bought an old propeller from an antique shop. It was very unique and has an excellent look. I am having great difficulty figuring out whether it was for an aircraft, snow car, air boat, seaplane, drone or other. They said they got it from an old shed. Here are the basics:

1. There are no markings at all. No numbers stamped in the hub. No stickers.
    2. There is ink transfer from newsprint on parts of it from storage.
    3. It only has 4 bolt holes and the shaft hole is pretty small.
    4. I think the leading edges are brass (?) but not sure.
    5. There is fabric down 2/3 of all the blades almost as far as the leading edge material under old varnish.
    6. The wood seems to be a lighter color.
    7. There are multiple balancing weights on both sides of the hub. (lead?)
    8. Each blade is 30" from the center of the shaft hole to the tip.

Anyhow, I am very intrigued by it and would appreciate any assistance on identifying how old it is and what device it was attached too. Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Sorry but it's not an airplane prop but a ceiling fan prop.
    The four bolt holes gives it away.

Cam

Comment

Fleet16b. I appreciate you looking, but I'm having a hard time believing it to be a ceiling fan. It is way too herky. It weighs about 27 lbs of solid wood and is built exactly like a 1920's - 30's wooden prop with leading edge metal sheathing and fabric tips. It's really old given the varnish condition too. All of that for a ceiling fan?
      I accept that the 4 bolt pattern is extremely uncommon. I'm thinking maybe a drone prop (pusher) or some kind of snow mobile prop pusher that doesn't have the kind of torque pulling it but only has to have bolts for the torsion. It looks very similar to the 3 blade Fudge sedan propeller from 1941.
      Anyhow, thanks for thinking about it. If you disagree I'd love to know more. Cheers.

Comment

It could also be some kind of industrial fan. The metal sheathing suggests usage around debris or even water, but I have no idea of its application.
        Dave

Comment

Greetings Flycg,

You have found a gem.

I agree that it was made as a propeller. The sheathing is of British design and the use of fabric down to the hub was also a British feature around 1917 to 1920. Also at this time, people in Britain were experimenting with six bladed, five bladed and three bladed props.

Is it made of laminations or one piece of solid wood? Due to its small size, I think it is a model made by the company to prove or demonstrate the method of construction and perhaps for display purposes.

I also agree that it has been used as a ceiling fan, or something like that, but that is not what it was made for.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

And as a postscript, the look of the varnish suggests that it dates from c1920.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob,
              Thank you so much for helping identifying this propeller. I'm sorry it has taken me 2 years to thank you! For some reason I never saw these posts. Anyhow, I still have the prop and am still in "love" with it. I just cleaned off the dirt and put some oil on it for preservation. It is hanging in my garage. Every one of my pilot buddies fawn over it because it is so unique. Yes, it is made of laminations of several pieces of wood and has drilled out areas for lead weights (i think) for balance. There are no markings on it of any kind, unfortunately. I have looked very hard, but nothing.
              If you ever have any more ideas on where it came from, I'd love to hear about it. Cheers! Matt

Comment

Hi Matt,

Welcome back. I wonder if you hold the record for the longest period on this forum between replies?

The laminations, the method of attaching the brass sheathing, the look of the varnish and the balance holes in the hub all conform to British WW1 prop design. But the four holes make it unlikely it was used on an aircraft and likely that it was used as a fan for generating air flow, for cooling, ventilation, or in a wind tunnel. I'm more inclined to think it must be some form of experimental prop. At about four feet in diameter, I am also inclined to think it was a half-sized model. But it is undoubtedly nearly a century old, and interesting. Look after it.

I look forward to our next conversation in 2014.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                X