Lang Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lang Wooden Propeller

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've got a Lang wooden propeller with the following details stamped in the boss. D2360 P1010 60 HP LE RHONE L.H. and a manufacturers transfer on the rear of one blade LANG PROPELLERS of WEYBRIDGE and its brass tipped. It has other stampings but they are probably the manufacturers serial numbers. The D and P refer to dimensions in millimetres for dia. and pitch.
    It was given to my late father-in-law, when he was about 9 years old, on a visit to the Hendon Air Show with his father in the late 1920's. He gave it to me in 1976 and has adorned various walls ever since. See attached photo's.
    I've done some research and I think it is from a Grahame White XV flying machine as used at the Hendon Flying School. These are the only a/c that I can find that employed a 60 HP 'pusher' configuration. Has anyone got any better info in helping me positively identify this prop's history?
    Attached Files

Nice prop in nice original condition. I think if you've narrowed it down to that level you're probably correct in your assumption. I note that there were 360 of 60 HP LeRhones built, but your prop is clearly a pusher configuration for that engine.

Comment

Steve,

Thank you for posting photographs of your Lang Propeller.

It is one of the earliest designs of the Lang Propeller with the Drg No LP 1041. I have recorded only one earlier design; LP 1020.

Your prop was used on early training aircraft such as the Grahame White GW15 and the REP Parasol. The comparatively heavy GW15 and the low power of the 60hp Le Rhone engine necessitated the remarkably low pitch of 1010mm.

The LP1041 had a pitch of 2020 or 2430mm reflecting the lightness of aircraft such as the Sopwith Pup and the Beardmore WBIII; and the increased power of 80hp of the Le Rhone engine.

But although your prop was of early design, it has the fifth version of the Lang decal on the blade which shows it to have been made during WW1, although designed before the war.

The brass sheaths on the blade tips identifies it as a pusher prop, to protect the blade tips from dirt, dust, twigs and other FOD thrown up by the undercarriage which was just ahead of the propeller.

With kind regards,

Bob

After note; there are sixty pages describing Dashwood Lang and his propellers in Part Three of my series on British WW1 Propeller makers. If this appeals, I'll give you a discount.
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob.
        I am a tad late in responding to you. (Only 6 years!). Thank you so much for taking the time. I had a couple of house moves during that time is my only excuse. Sorry.
        Appreciate all the information you gave me.
        Kind regards.
        Steve.

Comment

Working...
        X