Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 06-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
Bob Gardner

Hi Ronnie,

A belated reply. I have spent much of the last few months in and out of hospital having an op on a damaged vertebrae (L3 for the cognoscenti amongst you) which was caused by an over-enthusiastic British Army helo pilot several decades ago, which eventually caused a latter-day spinal constriction. The op was a success, but I fell a few weeks later, so we went through the process again, with a remedial op.

The answer to your question on the opposites of the German EDULZUG (Entgegen dem Uhrzeiger Lauf) which tr. as Against-the-direction-in-which-the hour hand-runs indicating anti-clockwise, are two fold;
Clockwise is described in German as MDUL (where M indicates with, as opposed to the letter E indicating Entgegen for against.)

[But note that this German terminology refers to the direction of rotation viewed from the front of the aircraft, which is opposite to the British, French and American terminology, which describes the rotation as viewed from behind the propeller!]

Variations on this theme are MULZUG, indicating a simplified variation on MDULZUG.

And finally MULDRUCK, indicating a pusher prop turning clockwise, a rare occurrence.

I do hope you are paying attention. I may ask some questions later to test your comprehension.

With kind regards,

Bob

Last edited by Bob Gardner; 06-26-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
Skyraider3D

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about your health troubles, I hope things are improving again and you're recovering rapidly! The words "over-enthusiastic" and "helo pilot" shouldn't ideally go in the same breath! Yikes!

About the props and spinning direction, all noted and makes complete sense! (luckily I understand a bit of German too) - many thanks!

Interesting though how viewing directions differ per nation. Similar stuff has happened with throttles (push-pull) with disastrous results. I guess only port and starboard are pretty universal (I half-expect to becorrected! )

Thanks very much!

Ronnie
Skyraider3D is offline   Reply With Quote