Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 08-23-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
Soloflyer

Default Vintage Hartzell Prop

Hello Everyone,
Can anyone provide information on this old prop. I saw a PT-1 “Trusty” in a museum with a very similar prop on it.
Thank You!
Soloflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

I'm a little confused by the decal. The "Liberty" logo was short lived, according to an executive at Hartzell with whom I spoke years ago, and was replaced with the word "Hartzell" across the face, retaining "Hartzell Liberty" in the name only. See this link as well as this Signal Corps propeller.

To further complicate things, I previously owned a Hartzell propeller with the same PT 1 markings but with the "Hartzell" decal on it. It also was the same color and had the same scalloped sheathing, so I assume was an identical model to this one.

My understanding is that the logo was abandoned around 1917, and the plain Hartzell logo appeared on a large number of propellers produced shortly after that, so my confusion arises around how it appears on a propeller used on a plane that was developed in the twenties, several years after they were ordered to cease its use.

Can you post a photo of the entire prop? I'm presuming that it's a mild scimitar shape rather than a straight design. I'll see if I can find a picture of the one I sold.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Soloflyer

Default Response

Hello,
Here are a couple of more pictures.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1CD7507-6B90-4216-8A37-C5AFADACBF7D.jpg (91.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 443E1E3E-CD05-44F4-8802-2BC4102BEF83.jpg (92.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Can you stand back and position the camera so that it “looks” directly down the center bore while also showing both blades? (See top of this page as example.)

We need to see the geometric shape of the blade, which gets distorted if taken from any other angle.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
Soloflyer

Ok will do. Thanks!

Tags
1920’s propeller, hartzell, vintage prop, vintage propeller