Can someone help me ID my Propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me ID my Propeller?

I have had this particular wooden propeller for about 20 years. I believe it was found in an old barn in South Dakota before it was given to me. As best I can tell (the numbers are hard to read) the identification burned into the wood reads:

SER A 25550Y
    MOD 72A48
    T.C. 802
    P.G. 106

The length of the propeller is 72" and the leading edge is metal and there are 6 bolts at the hub (Counter sunk on the backside)

I tried to e-mail a photo but it was too big. Is there enough info for someone to help me with this?

I'm not at home where I might find a reference to that Type Certificate number ("TC802") but the 72A48 suggests a typical small engine propeller of 72 inch diameter and 48 inch pitch. A number of variations of that size and pitch were produced, and typically used to power the 65 to 90 HP Continental, Franklin, and Lycoming engines on aircraft like the Piper Cub, Taylorcraft, Luscombe etc., all small 2 seat trainers.
    Dave

Comment

Dave,
      Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info. As well as what it might have powered, I am looking for who might have manufactured it and when (how old it might be. Is there some table that can tell me a date produced from the Model number and Serial number?

Comment

I'll try to check when I get home. Remind me next week if I haven't posted a response.
        Dave

Comment

Dave,
          It's been a while and I was wondering if you happen to come up with any further information on this propeller?
          Thanks,
          Maury

Comment

Sorry, forgot about it.

Type Certificate #802 is listed for Univair, and includes that model 72A, which was designed for use on a 90 HP engine. The "48" represents the pitch. I don't have any reference to the aircraft types that would have utilized that model.
            Dave

Comment

Dave,
              Thanks! I really appreciate the help/info.
              Maury

Comment

Working...
              X