Propeller clock id - Serie CP 657

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller clock id - Serie CP 657

Hello, I hope someone may be able to help with the identification of a propeller that has been made into a clock, which has been in my family for a very long time (perhaps even since it was made into a clock).

I have also attached some photographs that may help.

Serie CP no 657
    no 6425
    G SFA 3
    Cau G3
    AZ 100

It also has 8 bolt holes and 5 layers of wood.

Sadly my relative was shot down and killed during the First World War (in June 191 at the young age of 18, so I have been wondering if this might have been a souvenir from his flight school training, or a gift to his parents from around that time, perhaps?

From my initial findings I wonder if this was from a Caudron G3 plane? If so, this would be interesting because the family lived in Cricklewood (North London) at the time and I’ve discovered that these planes were used in training. There was also a British Caudron factory in Cricklewood (according to the ‘download history’ notes in the following link from the RAF museum in London).

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...ns/caudron-g3/

If anyone knows anything more certain about the type of plane that this might have been used on I'd be extremely grateful, or any other relevant details.

Thank-you for your interest and what a fantastic resource this forum is.
    Attached Files

Hi,

Your prop was made by Grémont which has had two factories in France, in Paris and in Lyon. From the airworthy stamps and prop number (6425), this one was made in Lyon in 1917.
    All Grémont serial CP were made to be used on a Caudron G3, as you guessed. Grémont serial "number" are letters, in fact (CP) and 657 is a batch number. This serial CP was approved to be fitted on 3 engines :
    - Anzani 100 HP
    - Anzani 90 HP
    - Le Rhône 80 HP
    all for war or school use. Original prop was 2.50 meters long (with a 1.55 meter pitch).

It have to be two round stamps on the blades near the hub, but I am afraid yours is cut too short for they could have survived. See pics of the stamp and the decal from a Grémont made in Lyon.

I would be interested in two pics from yours:
    - close up of the line of the markings which read G SFA 3
    - pic of the back side of the hub with markings (or remains of markings...) very legible.
    Please, post largest pics possible, or send me them to pmdecombeix arrobase yahoo dot com.

Regards,
    PM
    Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

PM,

Wow, how kind of you to respond so quickly with such detail - fantastic!

I'm just trying your email now so I can forward you some higher resolution photos, however, the marking on the back of the hub has almost been completely removed at some time in the past, so this will be a disappointment I'm sure.

With kindest regards,

Nicki

Comment

Working...
      X