Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
chuckpee

Default Help Identify - Requa-Gibson?

Here's another propeller we need help identifying. While the shape is similar to some in the gallery, it only has 6 bolt holes and it is also quite light in weight. The stampings are almost readable but we could be misinterpreting some. Line one: PDQ CIB CO. Line two: P17 d70 p60 c And Line 3: PAT APD FOR (got that one). No decals. The ends are covered and there is damage (see pics). Length is 84.5", the hub is 4.25" thick with a 5" diameter. The center hole measures 1 3/4" across and has a metal insert inside. Thanks again for being so generous with your knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unk2 - 1.jpg (61.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg unk2 - 2.jpg (94.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg unk2 - 3.jpg (95.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg unk2 - 4.jpg (91.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg unk2 - 5.jpg (93.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg unk2 - 6.jpg (88.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by chuckpee; 09-06-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: More information
chuckpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

It certainly looks like a very early design, and I'm just guessing that it's pre-WW1.

It's a left hand thread (we've been seeing a few of those lately), suggesting a pusher application. I think that the wrapping around the tips is actually animal hide rather than cloth, and I've seen that on some early props, like this early Requa Gibson.

I have no idea what "PDQ CIB CO" represents, but suspect it somehow identifies the manufacturer.

Can you measure the bolt hole circle diameter? I have two Bleriot propellers for Anzani engines and can compare dimensions. The Bleriot XI was a tractor (RH propeller) but it could well have been used on that or a similar type engine used in a pusher configuration. (I believe that one or some of the earlier Bleriot aircraft may have been pusher designs.)
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
JR44

Do the stamps actually say REQ GIB Co?
It looks like the ones in the ad.
JR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
chuckpee

I'll go back to storage tomorrow to see if I can get a better read on the first line. We, too, had questions about the first two letters. I will measure the bolt hole circle diameter and look closely at the covering as well. Thanks for that info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unk2 - 7.jpg (97.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR44 View Post
Do the stamps actually say REQ GIB Co?
It looks like the ones in the ad.
Good pick-up. Right now that looks like the most logical interpretation of hard to read characters. Requa Gibson was a popular maker of early wooden propellers, and there are numerous ads for them in early publications. I don't know when they went out of business.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
chuckpee

Weight: 9 lbs. Bolt holes 3/8" (and only about 1/4" from outside edge!). Bolt holes measure 4.25" center to center. Got better pictures of data. First line could well be REQ CIB CO. (Requa-Gibson) The other measurements seem to point it in that direction. Took a couple more of the covering too. I can't tell what it is, but it has a definite, not random, pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unk2 - 7a.jpg (96.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg unk2 - 8.jpg (77.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg unk2 - 9.jpg (79.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg unk2 - 10.jpg (88.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by chuckpee; 09-06-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

From the photos it looks like the bolt holes are bigger than 3/16ths, possibly 3/8ths?

The Bleriot prop I have was fitted to a 25 HP Anzani engine. The bolt circle diameter is 4 1/2 inches and the bolt holes are 3/8".

If your bolt holes are actually 3/8" it doesn't mean that it necessarily was fitted to an Anzani engine; it just means that's one possibility. (The best way to measure the hole diameter is simply see what size drill fits best in the hole.)

I do think it's safe to say that this is an early Requa Gibson prop and may have been used in a pusher configuration.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
chuckpee

You are correct...bolt holes are 3/8". Don't know why I put 3/16 (changed it). I could be a tad off on the circle diameter too. Good idea about using drill bits. I'll try that next time I return to storage. Heard an Anzani run once...neat engine.