Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Ckatze

Default Hub bub

This prop was heading for the trash pile when I came upon it.
So due to the boring out of the hub , itís considered damaged and has no real value anymore? To me itís still a wonderful piece of history, like finding an old coin, only this is much bigger 😃, my home is small but Iíll find a place for it.
Iíve learned a lot about props and some aviation history as well.

Thanks all !
Ckatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #12
Ckatze

Default Hub bub

This prop was heading for the trash pile when I came upon it. I knew nothing about aviation or had interest in it but I knew I had to save this piece of history.
So due to the boring out of the hub this prop lost its monetary value due to now being damaged? It still deserves to be saved I think. My home is small but Iíll find a place to display it and share itís history.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-29-2018, 11:17 PM   #13
PropArt

What a shame. Value of this propeller is significantly less because of this attempt at inserting a clock. So sad
PropArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:10 AM   #14
JR44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckatze View Post
This prop was heading for the trash pile when I came upon it. I knew nothing about aviation or had interest in it but I knew I had to save this piece of history.
So due to the boring out of the hub this prop lost its monetary value due to now being damaged? It still deserves to be saved I think. My home is small but Iíll find a place to display it and share itís history.

Thanks everyone!
It will still display well, well done for rescuing it.
Most people won't notice the damage.
JR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:26 AM   #15
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Agreed. And I would correct "lost its monetary value" to "lost some of its monetary value". If nothing else, a person could simply turn it around and display the back of the prop, and many observers wouldn't see the difference. There's also the option of finding another clock to fit, or simply covering the hole with a wooden or metal plate.

It's still a historical artifact. It's just not "pristine" to a collector, and if you ever sell it you can advertise that it has had a clock in it and the clock just needs to be replaced.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #16
Ckatze

Default Question....

I looked at the link for mounting the prop on a wall with dowl rods thru the bolt holes.
In my situation where the bolt holes are plugged, would you suggest drilling them out so I can use this mounting technique ? Or is there another suggestion for wall mounting?

Thanks !
Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #17
JR44

Quote:
I looked at the link for mounting the prop on a wall with dowl rods thru the bolt holes.
In my situation where the bolt holes are plugged, would you suggest drilling them out so I can use this mounting technique ? Or is there another suggestion for wall mounting?

Thanks !
No,they were probably plugged when the clock was fitted so are strangely part of its history. Just use the hanger thats already screwed to it.
I have just made the dowel and ply hanger for mine and as it was a little tight I screwed a picture hanger to that and it works really well.
I believe some of these props had the holes plugged for storage.
Mine had leaf insect nests in the holes, they looked like little green cigars!
JR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #18
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:

Thanks !
You could leave the holes plugged and just use a large dowel in the center hole, but you'd probably have to make the dowel on a lathe because of its diameter.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote