Propeller ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller ID

Hello y'all. I'm stumped by this propeller.

It's got an 8 hole bolt pattern. It's 9' 8" tip to tip.
    (Maybe 9' 7"?)

The only stamps I can make out are two, one over the other that both read
    "418"

Looks like there were possibly more markings below that but I can't make them out.

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files

Not much to go on, but it may very well be for a Liberty engine. Check out the hub dimensions and compare them to this chart.

Some close-up photos of the hub and accurate photos of the stampings that are hard to read would help. Often they just need to be sort of "deciphered".

Comment

I tried to upload more photos but they were too big. I'll shrink them down in a bit and try again. Thanks!

Comment

I'm guessing that it's probably a propeller for a Liberty engine, and likely built in the late teens or early twenties. It similar (but not identical) in design and size to this one, although the exact usage of the Hartzell Liberty prop isn't known either.

Look closely under the aged varnish for decals. Sometimes they are hard to see after all that time. Also, see if you can confirm that the hub dimensions match a Liberty engine. That may be as far as you can get with the informaiton you have. There were hundreds of different designs for and thousands of propellers manufactured during the latter part of WW1, most of them seem to be for various flying boats developed by the Navy.

Comment

Thanks! I have one guy local suggesting that maybe it was made only to be ornamental? He thought the craftsmanship seemed shoddy. Or that it was a replacement propeller made by a very small shop?

I'm going to keep going over it when I have better light. Thanks again!

Comment

Nailed it. It's a Liberty. I found the decal this morning. Looks like some dummy Stained it darker some time ago but I believe that is the same propeller you sent me. Thanks!
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X