Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity of Prop (boss)

Good evening all,
    A visitor to the Irish Air Corps Museum and Heritage Centre showed us details of a boss which he has (it always makes me sad when the propeller is cut to the boss) It has listed the following on the side :
    27.5 Rolls Royce (or it may be 275)
    D280, P3600, AB 686 RH and with 2751 on the front.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Regards
    Tony Kearns

It's not listed in my reference material, but drawing AB 685 had two versions with slightly different diameter and pitch used on a DH4 with the Rolls Royce Eagle and Eagle 8 engine. Both were 4 bladed left hand tractor versions, so it's possible that this was a right hand version of one of those. Is it 4 blade or two?

Comment

Great many thanks. The owner states it is a two blade, but he did not bring it into the museum.
      It was found at Ballincollig, Co. Cork, there was a barracks and a landing field nearby used by the RFC/RAF during the war of independence. I was not aware that DH4 was used during that period but it seems to fit. I am hoping that the boss would be donated to the museum and then we can photograph it .
      Thanks as always for your help now and on previous occasions.
      Regards
      Tony K

Comment

Greetings Tony,

Good to hear from you again.

I have added several more lines of data about AB686 to my database. I add them constantly, with much of the info coming from this website. AB685 and AB686 appear to be identical. The eight props I have recorded had diameters from 2800mm to 2900mm and pitches from 3340-3600mm. Two of the eight were made by Boulton Paul. They were all four bladed.

If you have several wooden props in your museum, could you send me a list of the data on them, so I might add them to my databases? I would be most grateful.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X