Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tibbenham Propeller

Hello learned folks,

I know that this is a long shot, but I am helping to sort and arrange the propellers at Tangmere Military Aviation Museum. I would like to improve the presentation by including a photograph of the appropriate aircraft and arranging them in chronological order. I have used your skills and knowledge in the past to identify my personal collection. Thank you.

I have managed to identify the vast majority of the exhibits but am stumped by one which has in the past been cut into 4 and reassembled. it is 10ft long and the only marking I can find are 'Tibbenham 2037'. I enclose a couple of photos and would appreciate any help.

Regards

Joe
    Attached Files

That Tibbenham number is almost certainly a production (serial number).

Just above that are the crucial numbers, which you should examine closely (use a magnifying glass and angle the light from a variety of directions). It looks as if it might be 2810 and possibly a 5th digit and possibly a preceding letter.

There are 24 different RAF propeller models with "28" as the beginning numerals, and all of them contain 5 digits following a "T". Note that your propeller is a left hand thread. The only one that seems to fit on the list I have would be "T 28102" which is indeed a left hand thread. It's listed for a 200 HP Hispano engine. The aircraft listed are "NE1" and "CE1", and the pusher configuration would be consistent with a left hand prop on a Hisso (non-geared) engine. Evidently, NE referred to "night experimental, and CE referred to "coastal experimental". (See this link.)

Try to get a macro lens photograph of those numbers or see if you can read them better (or both). This one is too pixelated to be much use except for speculation. If we're close we're probably on the right track.

It's a nice looking prop, despite the unfortunate sectioning into to pieces.

Attached Files
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, That is brilliant, I will have another look tomorrow and see what I can spot. I will dismount it for a better view.

Regards

Joe

Comment

Hi all,

Had the propeller down and had a closer look. The number appears to be T28008. Does that ring any bells?
        Attached Files

Comment

That would work as well. It's listed as left hand thread for use on an RAF4a engine fitted to the following:

BE12/12A, RE8/8A

That looks like a nearly certain match to me, as photos of the BE12 show a left hand prop. The only photos I could find in a quick search of the RE8 shows a 4-bladed prop, but it's also left hand rotation.

The decals on the front of the prop suggest a tractor application and the T28008 is listed a "LHT" for left hand tractor.
          Dave

Comment

Once again Thanks Dave. You are a star.

Comment

Eagle,

A postscript; It was cut into sections to get it home by whoever acquired it as a souvenir. This adds to its interest and is typical of how large propellers could be brought home from France, perhaps in a kit bag. If one of your restorers expresses a wish to restore it, you might consider that as a museum exhibit it is at its best in its present state. I apologise for proselytizing.

I was based at Thorney Island around 1970, despatching parachute loads onto Tangmere from Argosy and Andover aircraft.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner
              Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
              http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                Eagle,

A postscript; It was cut into sections to get it home by whoever acquired it as a souvenir. This adds to its interest and is typical of how large propellers could be brought home from France, perhaps in a kit bag. If one of your restorers expresses a wish to restore it, you might consider that as a museum exhibit it is at its best in its present state. I apologise for proselytizing.

With kind regards,

Bob
                I agree completely, Bob. This is one of those props that would be virtually ruined by trying to repair or restore it. It's fine the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                X