Propellor Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propellor Identification

I am a museum curator and was recently given this propellor by a member of the public who believed it came off a Second World War aircraft. However, although I have no aviation knowldege, and by using the checklist on the website, I don't believe this to be the case.
    It is 96 inches long, very dark wood (possibly mahog.), 8 bolt holes, centre bore diameter of 3.25 inch, hub thickness of 6". It has numerous markings that I hope you can see from the photo including 4 squares stamped on the top row of A.I.D. and 2 I V underneath. A 5th square has A.I.D. with 702 underneath and a large S either side, but outside the square. In addition there are red stampings which have rubbed but I can just make out G.606.N.21 and ??GAR??3RH. [img][/img]

The images didn't post. It might very well be WW1 era, but the stampings on the hub are critical for a positive identification.
    Dave

Comment

Dear WelshAde,

AID stands for Aircraft Inspection Department, which identifies the prop as British. The squares around AID confirm that it is from WW1. Eight feet diameter, 2440mm, was almost only used on the DH2 and FE8 but with LH rotation engines not RH as on yours.

E-mail me photographs of the markings on the hub. I particualrly need the engine type or the drg no which is likely to begin with T, LP or AB, probably on the other side of the hub to the G and N numbers which are spurious in this context.

To find my e-mail address, go to my website below where it is prominent. Sorry to be obscure, but I get enough spam as it is.

With regards,

Bob

Bob Gardner
      Director
      Circadian (UK) Ltd
      www.aeroclocks.com
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Dear Ade,

From the photographs of the hub that you sent me I can see that the lettering which looks like *GAR***3RH reads DG AB7673RH. The prop is a distinctive shape and is from a SE5A fighter c1918 powered by a Wolseley Viper engine.

The official diameter is 2414mm (95inches), not the 96 inches that you quote, but some freedom was allowed to cope with how the prop turned out after it was handmade and I'm sure that your measurement is correct.

This prop was the standard prop for the Viper powered SE5A in late 1918 and 1919.

With regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X