Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPW decal

Hi,
    I am looking for an advice from this great source of knowledge and information. I have a propeller stamped on hub side
    INTEGRAL PROPELLER
    D R P
    N 236
    D230 S185
    80PS GNOME
    Unfortunately, the whole prop is covered with a thin layer of an old silver paint, probably synthetic. In certain light conditions I can see on propeller leafs a relief of decals with JPW letters in a round frame.
    I would like to remove this ugly silver paint, but otherwise leave the prop as much as possible in the state as found. So far I was not successful with any from common, easily available solvents tried (acetone, perchloroethylene, several brands of synthetic paint thinners, Loctite sealing cleaners, etc.), and am slowly inclining towards a mechanical method of patient removal of the silver paint. The biggest problem I see is how to preserve JPW decals during the paint removal effort.
    I would like to learn about decals: how are they made, if there is a chance they are covered with a protective varnish layer (probably not), etc. Also, if anybody would have any advice regarding the prop, I would be very thankful to read it.
    Thank you in advance
    Martin

Hello Martin and welcome to our website.

The lettering on your prop indicates;

Made by the German subsidiary of the French Integrale Co
    Deutches Reich Patent
    Serial number
    Diameter 2300mm Pitch 1850mm
    80hp Gnome engine. This was French but also used in Germany.

I'll post some photographs of an Integral decal in a moment

With regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Here are photographs of original Integral decals and of a modern reconstruction by Abufletcher, a fellow forumite.

Bob Gardner

Comment

Martin,

It is unlkely that you can recover the decals because;

They are fragile with age
        The silver paint will have damaged them
        The protective coat of varnish over them will be softened by the solvent in the silver paint.

But this does not mean you should not try. The method, which requires considerable patience, is to forensically remove the silver paint with very fine grade abrasives. You'll have to experiment on some other part of the prop. Try the softest possible grade of wire wool and the least abrasive sheet of wet and dry. If it is possible to remove the paint it will take many hours of work to expose the decals. Good luck.

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

Postscript;

Your prop probably dates from 1914 and is probably from an early Fokker E type.

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Thank you very much for your kind words!
            Regards
            Martin

Comment

We at Nostalgic Reflections have been making vintage water slide Propeller Decals for 41 years + We can make most any of them, but we don't make them on speculation, just real orders. They have had our contact information listed for years, but I couldn't find it right now but you can get in touch with us either through this site or nosref@peoplepc.com and we will help you with your project. Jerry Turner.

Originally posted by ramart View Post
              Hi,
              I am looking for an advice from this great source of knowledge and information. I have a propeller stamped on hub side
              INTEGRAL PROPELLER
              D R P
              N 236
              D230 S185
              80PS GNOME
              Unfortunately, the whole prop is covered with a thin layer of an old silver paint, probably synthetic. In certain light conditions I can see on propeller leafs a relief of decals with JPW letters in a round frame.
              I would like to remove this ugly silver paint, but otherwise leave the prop as much as possible in the state as found. So far I was not successful with any from common, easily available solvents tried (acetone, perchloroethylene, several brands of synthetic paint thinners, Loctite sealing cleaners, etc.), and am slowly inclining towards a mechanical method of patient removal of the silver paint. The biggest problem I see is how to preserve JPW decals during the paint removal effort.
              I would like to learn about decals: how are they made, if there is a chance they are covered with a protective varnish layer (probably not), etc. Also, if anybody would have any advice regarding the prop, I would be very thankful to read it.
              Thank you in advance
              Martin

Comment

Working...
              X