Pegasus VI Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegasus VI Propeller

Hi, I came across a Propeller in Malta with the following details on its Plate :

DRG No 228928/H/3
    PEGASUS VI
    D 10 FT P 8 FT

I did some research and believe that this is one of the two propellers of a Supermarine Walrus .

Do you have some information on this please.

Lee
    Malta

Good Morning Lee,

You are correct that this prop is from The Supermarine Walrus. (Strange that both the Spitfire and the Walrus were designed by RJ Mitchell at more-or-less the same time and both were in production at the same time.)

The data on the plate translates as;

DRG No 228928/H/3 The drawing number of the prop which identifies it as from a Supermarine Walrus. It is a late prop because both H and 3 are modifications to the original design. This would suggest that your prop is the third variant to the eighth modification to the original design. It dates from the latter years of WW2.

PEGASUS VI The Bristol Pegasus aero engine, also used on the Vickers Wellington bomber and the Sunderland flying boat.

D 10 FT Diameter of the prop

P 8 FT The pitch of the propeller (The theoretical distance the prop will move the aircraft through the air in one rotation).

If your prop is two-bladed, it is half of a four-bladed prop; the two blades bolted at right angles formed a four-bladed prop. The Walrus was an amphibian designed for ship board use where 2 two-bladed props occupied much less space than one four-bladed prop.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Pegasus VI Propeller

Good Morning Bob,

Thank you for the information you gave me,it is very interesting.
      I would like to buy this item but dont really know the value of it.
      If this was savaged from a crash in WWII here in Malta it really is a piece of History for me ,but I have No documented history and the owner have no knowledge about it.

Would you be able to put a price on it ?

Regards

Lee

Comment

Condition is extremely important to any value determination. Since we can't be there to examine it in person, can you post well-lighted, carefully focused pictures of the prop?

Lamar

Comment

Pegasus VI Prop

Good Morning,

Attached please find the only two photos I took. Hope these are good enough for you to check the condition and give me an approx value. I am very tempted to put an offer !.

Thanks & Regards

Lee
          Attached Files

Comment

Good Morning Lee,

The prop looks to be in excellent condition. It is covered in a resin-soaked sleeve which gives a waterproof protective coating which can be almost like armour. The wood is likely to be compressed birch also soaked in resin at a high temperature and pressure.

The Walrus aircraft was used in Malta by both the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force. If the bolt holes in the hub are slightly oval through wear, and/or you can see the impression of where the hub plate was bolted to the hub, then it will be a flown example. If not, it was probably sold off locally as surplus in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

The value is about £300 GBP, about €380 EUR.

Good Luck!

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Hi Bob,

The owner is asking €1100 so your valuation is greately appreciated. I will have to pass .

I want to hang a nice wooden prop approx this size in my house ,would you raccomand someone please ?

Thanks

Lee

Comment

Lee,

I'm sorry you won't be buying the prop. Even €600 EUR would be too much, I think.

I don't know anyone who sells props. I used to but I've retired. I think eBay would be the place to buy.

You can always consult this forum on any prop you are thinking of buying.

Good luck,

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                X