Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old wooden propeller how to preserve?

Hi Guys,
    I have and old British&Colonial propeller in original unrestored condition, I know I shouldn't restore it(becouse of history and economy value) and I don't want to do this but would like to preserve it if it's possible, I've read that warm water with soap is an option to clean the surface, but is it safe to do this on maker's decal? I think it's quite delicate piece and I'm not sure it's good idea.
    The Second thing, is using beewax, but pure or with terpentine?? I think I'll have more question about that but I prefer to ask You Guys, than making experiments.

Good Morning Thule,

Both of these, water and beeswax, should transform the appearance of your prop and prolong its life. The water should be tepid with a small amount of washing up liquid. Don't soak the wood. Just clean it gently with a wet soft cloth. Then let it dry. If necessary, repeat until you think the surface is cleaned of ingrained dirt. Allow to dry for a day or so. Wax it with pure beeswax polish out of a tin with no modern additives such as silicones. You should be pleased with the transformation. Wax and polish it again a week later.

Use your common sense and proceed carefully. Try both the washing and the waxing on a small part of the blade as an experiment to see if there is an adverse reaction. (I've never seen one). The decal would have been covered with clear varnish when applied.

Your prop when new, had a finish that could cope with being baked in a desert sun, frozen at 15,000 ft in winter, and pelted at 400mph (the tip rotation speed) with hail and rain, compared with which the cleaning process is extremely mild. The BUT factor is age and what a previous owner might have put on the prop.

Take a before and after photo for the forum, if you can. And please let us know the data stamped on the prop; drawing number, diameter, pitch, serial number and AID numbers (small, usually four of them, in squares the size of the finger nail on your little finger).

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hello Bob,
      Thank You very much for Your response,I'll do exactly like You advise, and post picyres "before" and "after" here below is what I found written on the propeller

The Decal - "Bristol Propeller - Built by the British Colonial Aeroplane Company Ltd. Bristol Eng."

WD and Broad Arrow
      AID
      80 HP Clerget
      Scout
      B&C
      P3019
      D2500

that's probably all.. could You tell me more about that?
      Thank You very much.

Comment

Originally posted by THULE View Post
        Hello Bob,
        Thank You very much for Your response,I'll do exactly like You advise, and post picyres "before" and "after" here below is what I found written on the propeller

The Decal - "Bristol Propeller - Built by the British Colonial Aeroplane Company Ltd. Bristol Eng."

WD and Broad Arrow
        AID
        80 HP Clerget
        Scout
        B&C
        P3019
        D2500

that's probably all.. could You tell me more about that?
        Thank You very much.
        Nice! Bob may have better info, and I'll try to look it up (mostly by using his books), but I think you've got a very nice artifact from a Bristol Scout airplane, with the prop built in 1917. I'm not sure about the Clerget engine's use on that airplane, but that's clearly what it was made for.

I'm anxious to see your photos.

(The "D" and the "P" numbers refer to diameter and pitch. The pitch can't change, but one thing you want to do is measure the diameter and confirm that it is 250mm. If not, it means that the propeller has been cut down in size.
        Dave

Comment

Thule,

I have seen your prop before because I have it listed in my database.

Comments on your data:

AID There should be a number with AID; is it readable? Often not. Examples of AID nos on Bristol props of this type of aircraft are 32, 18T, 22T, 75.
          30.3.17 This date appears often so I think it possible that it is a contract date.
          80 HP Clerget An unusual and low powered engine for a late mark of the Bristol Scout. It might have been experimental or for some obscure variation of the aircraft.
          Scout The type of aircraft and the name of the aircraft.
          B&C British & Colonial signature. The company trade name for its props and aircraft was Bristol
          5317 Prop serial number
          P3019 Looks like the pitch described in mm but is the drg no where P indicates B&C and 3019 indicates a later version of the Bristol Scout.
          D2500 diameter of the prop in mm. The pitch for this prop is listed at 3300mm which seems extreme but other examples exist for the Scout, but with a different drg no.

The British Government paid £14-18s-3d for a comparable B&C prop.

In twenty-five years of research yours is the only example I have seen of this drg no, whereas I've seen several examples of most other Bristol drg nos. This puts your prop in the category of possibly the only survivor. Look after it. If you sell it, make sure it goes to an enthusiast who will care for it. Don't give it to a museum, where it might be neglected.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob and Dave,
            here are some pictures of this propeller they re made by mobile phone so aren't perfect, I'm not at home so when I'll back I'll make better photos "before" and after cleaning procedure. Propeller has exactly 2500 mm, in AID square there are numbers but it's not visible very well, so I'll have to look there minutely.
            Best regards
            Thule
            Attached Files

Comment

It looks to me as if there was fabric on the tips and that it may have been removed, but I really can't tell from the photos. Can you see if there is canvas over the last foot or so of blades? It may look like just paint, but if neither is there you will see wood laminations and possibly wood grain at the tips.

Here's one in my collection which I have incorrectly identified as used for a Bristol Fighter when in fact it was used for a DH9. (They both had the same drawing number, but mine is stamped DE ?9. I'll be revising the page shortly.) It shows the fairly typical fabric covered, painted tips.

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X