My first propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first propeller

Yesterday, I puchased a propeller that caught my eye at a garage sale for $250. The woman told me that it was given to her father that retired from the Airforce in 1950. She said it has been hanging in her fathers home office for 50 years+. She remembers him telling her it was made of Mahogany and was possibly from 1918. It stands 10 feet 6 1/2 inches long and the only serial number I can see is 318 which is in two different locations. It also has 3 decals that all read "Marble U.S.A Bedford, Ohio". Does anyone know how old this propeller may be and can shed light what type of aircraft it was on? Value? I did some online searching last night and found that the B.L Marble Chair Co. in Bedford, OH made wooden propellers for the US Navy from 1918-1921.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

That's quite a buy at $250, and should be kept in that condition (no refinishing!) at all costs. It's going to be hard to identify, but I suspect that it was designed for a Liberty engine. You can eliminate some engines by going to this page then linking to hub dimensions chart, and I think it's likely that measurements are consistent with one of the Liberties.

It's hard to tell without a closer photo, but I think the stamping next to the number is a USN stamp. The absence of witness marks on the hub suggest that it was never actually mounted, and was probably one of the thousands that were sold off by the Navy during the early twenties as the existing engines became obsolete.

Years ago I was doing research on old propellers at the NASM and the Library of Congress. I wrote down as many names of existing propeller companies in the teens and twenties as I came across (i.e. there were quite a few that I didn't see) and the Marble Company is on that list.

I think this might be one of the rarer cases where what the seller has told you about it is substantially correct. There are lots of inaccurate stories that go along with these . . .
    Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the fast response. I agree- the patina give the propeller the look that it deserves and should stay that way. Thanks for the information.
      B

Comment

Working...
      X