Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nieuport Propeller Dating

Hi,

I have a propeller with the following hub markings.

Serie 450
    N 16722
    Nie X0X1
    80 Rh

The hub dimensions match exactly the ones listed in the woodenpropellers table for a 80 Hp Le Rhone. I'm thinking that the Nie X0X1 means that it was for a Nieuport 10 or 11.

Assuming that is correct, can anyone help me date this propeller? It seems like the serial number (16722) would give some indication of the date, but I have no idea where to start looking. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

Hi,

It is a Levasseur propeller. Its shape (straight leading edge and square tips) have yo be like this one : http://woodenpropeller.com/NieuportScout.html.

And yes, serial number may help me giving you a relatively precise datation (and for which aircraft it was made), but you have to post a picture of the whole propeller, one of the decals if they have survived and one neat close up picture of each side of the hub (the two round ans the two flat) with all markings clearly visible.

That is 5 or 6 pictures: it's the deal!

Regards,
    PM

If you can't post them on the forum, you can send them to my mail (you have to be logged to see the address):
    Last edited by pmdec; 07-29-2012, 07:54 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Photos and other information

Thank you for the reply. 5 photos are attached. One of the complete prop, 2 of the hub faces and two of the sides. Unfortunately no stickers survive.

The yellow color of the prop appears to be from a very old varnish that has discolored over time. The wood underneath is significantly darker than this varnish makes it appear.

All I know about the provenance is that it was mounted on the wall in a small airport in Ohio USA for as long as anyone there could remember. I bought it from the salvage company that cleaned out the airport.

Any information that you can provide will be much appreciated.

Regards,
      John
      Attached Files

Comment

PM is correct. It is a Levaseur propeller designed for a Nieuport XI or XXI using a LeRhone 80 HP engine. I should have diameter of 2.45 m and a pitch of 2.20 m. I believe I can discern the "S.F.A." inspection stamp on the hub.

Levasseur typically used decals and usually the surfaces were painted, not varnished.
        Dave

Comment

closer inspection

Dave,

Upon closer inspection I believe that indeed the yellow color is from a layer of what looks like varnish over dark brown paint. I mistook the brown paint for wood.

Thanks,

John

Comment

Most of the Levasseur props I've seen had very dark paint, which would hide any grain or color differences in the wood, so I would suspect that on yours the existing finish may have been stripped off and varnish applied. Unfortunately, that's not an uncommon event with many of the older propellers.
            Dave

Comment

Hi John,

Dave is right:
              - All knowned Levasseur from WW1 era in original state are dark brown. Your prop has been roughly sandpapered and refinished with a yellow varnish:there is some place where the dark color is still visible,
              - Levasseur serial 450 is registered for Nieuport XI and XXI monoplace with a Rhône 80HP engine in French and American papers.

Yours has been made in late 1917, probably in December: it will be possible to confirm this with larger and clearer pictures (use "macro" and no flash) and send them to: (you have to be connected to see the address).

Regards,
              PM

Comment

Working...
              X