Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request help in identifying wooden prop

Hello all,

I would appreciate it if the experts out there could help in identifying this prop. I used your tips page and the hub size exactly matches that of a Curtiss OX5. That's as far as I got. In the center hub section, between the hub bolts is stamped "484". On the root of one blade is stamped "SC 9888" and below a square with something stamped inside it, I can't make it out. It's overall length is 7'10". I placed the question in the modern section as it is under 8'.

If possible, I would like to know what each number stamping represents and what kind of aircraft it would have been used on. Also what the value might be.

It's in "ok" condition. The wood has some nicks and dents, but no cracks or major damage and the metal sheathing is missing. Original varnish is mostly gone as well.

Thanks for the great site.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mobylarry; 01-06-2016, 02:00 PM.

Nothing?

The stamped numbers on the root of the blade I have seen on several other props here. Can someone tell me what those are and who would have put them there? They always seem the same style and not the same as the manufacturers markings, so I figured it was done afterwards, as in a third party inspection mark.

The SC 9888 could be SO 9886. It's hard to tell.

Any input at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

I suspect that the stamp is, in fact, "SC" and refers to a Signal Corps number, which unfortunately doesn't help identify it. Neither does "484", which is probably the manufacturer's serial number.

I do think it's probably an early prop, however, likely from the late teens or early twenties. It will likely be difficult to narrow it down much further than the likely engine usage.
      Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I know nothing, so any bit of info is interesting.

The SC number, what was it for, just to inventory it or an inspection mark? What did the Signal corp. do in reference to this? or was it that they had their own equipment? Would this be considered a military piece? and is it, for sake of description, early or modern? Was it normal for the mfg. not to stamp their name or a model # on them?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again.
        Larry

Comment

Dave is better qualified than me, so I'll just give a brief outline. The USA formed its air arm in 1907 under the control of the Signal Corps, the USSC. When the USA entered WW1 in 1917 the vast expansion of the air arm completely outnumbered and overwhelmed the SC and so the US Air Service (USAS) was formed in April 1918.

Thus your prop is early and from the birth (or at least the rebirth) of American Army Aviation around 1917.

With regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the background. After reading that, I remembered a little bit. I had always thought they did just the very early testing. I didn't realize that the SC was in control up through the war. I looked it up an read some more about it.

I appreciate the input.

Thanks,
            Larry

Comment

Hi again,

If I can bother you again for a little more input, I'd appreciate it.

It's been awhile, but concerning this prop.
              You guys placed the date to approximately 1918 or just prior by the SC stamping.
              The hub dimensions match exactly to the OX5

Since the SC stamping means it was US government procured and the OX5 was used in the JN4, which the gov. owned many of, would it be wrong to say it most likely came from a Jenny?
              I only found mention of 1 or 2 other aircraft that used the OX5 that were tested by the military, but never purchased and they were from the mid to late 20's.

Thanks

I guess this thread should really be under "early", but I didn't know how to move it.

Comment

It's a little short for a Jenny prop, although not by much. (Most of the ones I've seen are a little over 8 feet.) A JN4 is a good bet, but not a precise match, and there's probably no way of knowing for sure.
                Dave

Comment

Jenny Prop?

Curtiss F Boats were in the US Coast guard during the 20"s
                  They used the same engine

Comment

Working...
                  X