Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 08-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #21
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR44 View Post
It's a bit odd about the drawing number. Can it be dated?
If Bob Gardner is still checking in he may have information on a production date based on the "G" and "N" numbers.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #22
JR44

Great, thanks.
JR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #23
Bob Gardner

More gloom, I'm afraid.

I have just seen the photographs of your prop.

The drawing number of the propeller AB8218 is listed in the relevant Air Board publication for a 200hp Sunbeam Arab engine fitted to a Bristol F2B aircraft with a diameter of 2940mm and a pitch of 2580mm.

Your prop is marked for a 200hp Hispano-Suiza engine fitted to an SE5A.

This alone is sufficient for you to return it and demand your money back.

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #24
JR44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
More gloom, I'm afraid.

I have just seen the photographs of your prop.

The drawing number of the propeller AB8218 is listed in the relevant Air Board publication for a 200hp Sunbeam Arab engine fitted to a Bristol F2B aircraft with a diameter of 2940mm and a pitch of 2580mm.

Your prop is marked for a 200hp Hispano-Suiza engine fitted to an SE5A.

This alone is sufficient for you to return it and demand your money back.

Bob
Thanks Bob,
I really don't understand this at all.
It is obviously a period made piece that has witness marks. There is no trace of any other stamps having been erased.
What exactly are you saying I have got then? And what might someone have done in the past to create this?
Also is it an example of a classic fraud?
I am confused!
Old 08-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #25
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

And I'm still curious about the Sopwith Camel propeller. Are we now seeing fairly high quality replicas entering the market? I've been concerned that such an event was inevitable as collectors realized the value of authentic originals.

There have been some fairly well crafted replicas available for the past few years, but the seller has been honest enough to identify them as such. Here's a current listing on eBay, for example:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PROP_016_.jpg (30.5 KB, 22 views)
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #26
JR44

I have enough other bits and pieces of ww1 propellers to know that this isn't a modern repro.
This is doing my head in.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #27
Bob Gardner

I spent several hours yesterday and five hours today researching the data on the SE5A prop and trying to connect an SE5A with a Sunbeam Arab engine and a few moments ago I found one! A footnote which mentions that this engine, the Sunbeam Arab, was fitted to an SE5A!

I emphasise that the SE5A was built for the Hispano-Suiza engine, and the Wolseley Viper, a derivative of the Hispano engine. Apart from this one footnote, there is no evidence of any other use of the Sunbeam engine with the SE5A.

The block of ten Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF) drawing numbers that I have referred to (AB8210-AB8224) is something of a hotchpotch with two different sets of diameter and two sets of pitch, which relate to five different aircraft, none of them an SE5a. I suspect it might have been used by the RAF for experimental work, one which included a trial fitting of the Sunbeam engine to a SE5A aircraft.

So all the data on your SE5A prop is genuine. I have added this discovery to my database.

Quad Erat Demonstrandum !

Bob Gardner
Old 08-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #28
JR44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
I spent several hours yesterday and five hours today researching the data on the SE5A prop and trying to connect an SE5A with a Sunbeam Arab engine and a few moments ago I found one! A footnote which mentions that this engine, the Sunbeam Arab, was fitted to an SE5A!

I emphasise that the SE5A was built for the Hispano-Suiza engine, and the Wolseley Viper, a derivative of the Hispano engine. Apart from this one footnote, there is no evidence of any other use of the Sunbeam engine with the SE5A.

The block of ten Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF) drawing numbers that I have referred to (AB8210-AB8224) is something of a hotchpotch with two different sets of diameter and two sets of pitch, which relate to five different aircraft, none of them an SE5a. I suspect it might have been used by the RAF for experimental work, one which included a trial fitting of the Sunbeam engine to a SE5A aircraft.

So all the data on your SE5A prop is genuine. I have added this discovery to my database.

Quad Erat Demonstrandum !

Bob Gardner
Wow, Thankyou Bob that was a stirling effort!
Does any of the info give it a date?
I really appreciate this as I have been looking at in my living room whilst watching the Touring cars this afternoon thinking that it can't be a fake and feeling somewhat disheartened.
Thanks all.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #29
JR44

I just Googled Sunbeam Arab Se5a and it seems that six Se's were fitted with this engine, as you say in tests.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #30
Bob Gardner

John,

Thank you for telling me about the six SE5A's with Arab engines. I've added this to my database as well! I'm glad that we were (eventually) able to find an answer for you.

With kind regards,

Bob

Oh! A postscript; My guess is that the trial with Arab engines occurred as the Hisso engine came into use because initially it had several faults.