Sopwith Salamander or Snipe Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sopwith Salamander or Snipe Prop

I work for a house clearance company and we've just come into possession of a Sopwith Prop and would love to find out a bit more about it!

The markings on it state the following:

DRG L5300
    200 HP BR2
    SALAMANDER TF2
    OR
    SNIPE
    G627 N49
    Attached Files

Hi Jamie,

These two aircraft were both made by Sopwith and date from WW1.

The Sop 7.F1 Snipe fitted with the BR2 engine of 200 and 230hp was designed by WO Bentley, then a naval officer. It came into service in early 1918 and was regarded as the best all-round fighter of the Allied Forces.

The Sopwith Salamander TF.2 was a derivative of the famous Sop. Camel. The initials TF indicate that it was a Trench Fighter, designed to shoot-up German trenches. Today, it would have been called a close support aircraft. It was heavily armoured against rifle or machine gun fire and extremely maneuverable. It would have been an outstanding aircraft for the RAF but WW1 ended in November 1918 before it came into volume production.

The data translates as:
    DRG L5300: The drawing number of the design of this propeller. The letter L indicates Lang Propellers, often shortened from LP to L.
    200 HP BR2: The 200hp Bentley Rotary radial engine, soon uprated to 230hp.
    SALAMANDER TF2: the aircraft.
    OR SNIPE: the aircraft.
    G627 N49: The batch number of 100 propellers, where G627 suggests a date of manufacture of Spring 1918.

We hope your initiative to contact us impresses your boss!

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Is this an intact propeller or just the hub? It would be great if you could post additional pictures - one of the face of the hub and one of the entire propeller from in front of it.

Comment

Sorry everyone! Like I said, I work for a company and it was a bank holiday weekend so only just come back into the office.

I am EXTREMELY grateful for the information you have given and so thankful for the effort you've put in to find this out for me.

I'm also (in a way) glad that I've started a conversation that clearly needs to be had about freeloaders!

I'll take some more pics of the propeller this morning and put them online for all of you.

Thanks again and apologies if I came across as someone who lacks gratitude!

Comment

Here are a few more pics of the full thing. Like I say, I'm no expert, so not entirely sure what parts are of most interest to you guys.

Also apologies for the pics, it's a small office!
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jamie.

These four squares are the stamps of inspectors from the Aeronautical Inspection Department which indicate that the propeller was passed as satisfactory at four stages of construction.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Yes, thanks Jamie.

I've taken the liberty of pruning the forum funding discussion to its own thread to help keep this one on its intended track.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                Hi Jamie,

These two aircraft were both made by Sopwith and date from WW1.

The Sop 7.F1 Snipe fitted with the BR2 engine of 200 and 230hp was designed by WO Bentley, then a naval officer. It came into service in early 1918 and was regarded as the best all-round fighter of the Allied Forces.

The Sopwith Salamander TF.2 was a derivative of the famous Sop. Camel. The initials TF indicate that it was a Trench Fighter, designed to shoot-up German trenches. Today, it would have been called a close support aircraft. It was heavily armoured against rifle or machine gun fire and extremely maneuverable. It would have been an outstanding aircraft for the RAF but WW1 ended in November 1918 before it came into volume production.

The data translates as:
                DRG L5300: The drawing number of the design of this propeller. The letter L indicates Lang Propellers, often shortened from LP to L.
                200 HP BR2: The 200hp Bentley Rotary radial engine, soon uprated to 230hp.
                SALAMANDER TF2: the aircraft.
                OR SNIPE: the aircraft.
                G627 N49: The batch number of 100 propellers, where G627 suggests a date of manufacture of Spring 1918.

We hope your initiative to contact us impresses your boss!

With kind regards,

Bob
                I hope it's not too much to ask a few more questions!

Is it common for a propeller like this to be able to fit on two types of aircraft?

Comment

Hi Jamie,

Yes, if the aircraft have the same engine.

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                  X