Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchased on eBay - not sure what aircraft it is from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased on eBay - not sure what aircraft it is from?

I purchased this propeller on eBay recently but was not sure what aircraft this is from? Any help identifying would be appreciated.

Photo is attached. Information from the eBay post: "It is aprox 6 ft. tall and 4" wide at the widest point. In the middle it measures aprox 3/4" and tapers thinner to the ends. It is very dark wood and fairly lightweight. Looks like it took two prop bolts. The edges near the ends are wrapped with light metal."
    Attached Files

It's most likely that it's from a windmill type of structure. It's not an aircraft propeller.

These seem to be fairly common in vineyards in California and other places. I think they are often used to move air when freezing is a concern.

See this youtube video for more info.
    Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for helping me identify this. Based on the photos and what you know about props, does this look like it is old enough to be considered an antique?

I found an article at http://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=...e&dataId=22013 that described the propellers being used for a while but am unable to tell by looking at the photo.

Curtis

Comment

I don't think you can really tell much about its age, and I don't know what criteria are used to define "antique" in that situation.

I do know that it looks old, which doesn't mean much, and that use for those kinds of propellers has been around for some time. I believe that Jacuzzi Brothers (yeah, the hot tub people) began in business making "foggers" like this for California vineyards then applied that knowledge to make aircraft wooden propellers during WW1, but abruptly stopped when one of the brothers was killed in an aircraft accident.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks again - some additional info I received from someone: "I'm pretty sure this is a prop off a Silverstone or a wind charger 12v generator. I have one just like it I'm using to charge 12v batteries, they also make a 24v& a 6v. The tin on the ends is probably copper from keeping the wind from beating up the edges."

Comment

More info

Some more info I received recently on this, in case someone has something similar: "They were used a lot on farms back in the 30s-40s. Put on milk houses so they could have lite or used to power up a radio. They would charge up a 12v-6v battery. As far as value, there was one on Craigslist in VT, early summer. It had the tower, generator, prop all the wiring and volt meter for $225. It stayed on a long time. I have seen props new for about $100."

Comment

Working...
            X