Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perhaps a different type of question for you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps a different type of question for you...

Hello! First post here.

My presumption is that I will find people on this forum that are knowledgeable regarding wooden propellers.

I have a website on the subject of 1/72nd scale model aircraft. We come up with questions about real aircraft that often involve trying to discern colors from black and white photos. As you may know, this borders on the impossible, and we have to look for peripheral references to help confirm any considered "guesses" made.

So as not to get off on the wrong foot on this forum, I will not post the photo which is causing some hair-pulling at the moment, but we have a photo of a Gloster Gladiator which is in service in Ismailia, possibly in the 1940-'41 timeframe.

The colors and some details of the propeller on the Gladiator are in question. Is there anyone here interested in trying to offer ideas, opinions, or confirmations regarding the propeller? Oh, yes... it appears to be a big old Watts two-blade type.

Thank you for any help, of course!

Robert Rensch
    72nd Scale Aircraft

Don't worry about getting off on the wrong foot here. Go ahead and post the photo or even link to the discussion.
    Dave

Comment

Thank you for the reply!

The discussion is here...

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Air...topic=1021&hl=

and the photo is simply this...

The photo can be found in various sources such as the Squadron "In Action" Gloster Gladiator publication.

Just hoping for some help with the colors on this propeller and the curious hub treatment.

Thank you!

Comment

Hello Shrike,

It's certainly a Watts designed prop from the Airscrew Co. at Brooklands. They had two designs for the Gladiator, Z3684 for the Mercury IX engine and Z3081 for the earlier Mercury VIII. Early props had Irish linen doped down to the blade roots. But most military props from 1930 onwards had a waterproof resin covering developed by the BTH company. A resin soaked stocking was pulled onto each blade and then covered with a rubber sheath. It was kept in a press under pressure for twenty minutes at 80 degrees F. When cool the fabric of the stocking had become an integral part of the wooden blade.

I note that the second Gladiator behind has a similar colouring on the hub so this might well be in the squadron colours, which research might identify.

The large fairing which streamlines the hub is made of thin plywood mounted on formers. It is purely aerodynamic and is not a load bearing part of the prop.

I'm part way through a series of books on British WW1 prop makers which when complete will describe all known WW1 makers and their props with close details of prop shapes, colours and decals. A good proportion of part 1 and part 2 have gone to modellers.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks, Bob

I'm thinking that the prop is a mid-light tan color. I'm not certain about the part at the hub, of course. No idea there.

Thanks for the info about the "sock". That might be why there is no obvious line on the blade near the hub which would be the edge of the linen application(?)

Yeah, we modelers are a curious lot.

Robert Rensch
          72nd Scale Aircraft

Comment

Working...
          X