Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with a Sensenich Bros WW-II Era Prop ID

Hello!

Great site! I am excited I came upon it. I have a Sensenich Bros (Lititz, PA) wooden propeller that I received from Lieutenant General John Chain while collecting some books he was donating to the University of North Texas History Department. I got my MA in American Military History (WWII) there in 2008. He told me that backstory on it. Apparently it was used to fly across the Atlantic several times by a French friend of his. Anyway, I've been wondering since if this was just a common wooden prop from the era or something special.

I've perused the forums a bit and here's the information that is usually requested:

Tip to Tip--76 inches
    Model # 76B-53
    Serial # D-6675

I have also attached three pictures. Thanks!
    Attached Files

The nomenclature of Sensenich design (model) numbers indicates that the 76 is the diameter in inches, the B designates the hub and/or blade design and the 53 is the pitch. Since different flying locales and conditions determine the desired pitch it is safe to say that your prop usage is the same usage as 76B-49 or 76B-51. I do not have all the possible pitches for all the props.

Since your prop is for a light aircraft like a Piper J3 I find it pretty incredible it would be used for trans-Atlantic flight.

The serial number indicates it was manufactured between January and June, 1944.

Lamar

Comment

Hey Lamar,

Thanks for the reply! The general could have been mistaken I suppose. I don't have any facts to back it up. I can't imagine someone making it that far in a cub myself. I checked ebay to get an idea of it's value but didn't see any examples of the model I have. Would you be able to guess at a rough estimate? Thanks again!

Comment

I would guess in the $400 to $600 range, maybe more if a bidding war breaks out.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information Lamar!

Comment

When you go to sell it, emphasize the fact that it has the old style "Lititz" decals, which I think are considerably more desirable than the later style. I'm not sure when the change occurred.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X