• Info request for Westmoore prop

Hello, this is a prop and these marking on it:
    Westmoore Propeller
    C.10.V.2
    C.R.11612
    R.H.
    No.5054
    R.9 U.R.S

Any info such as airplane type, rarity, producer etc is welcome.

Thanks

Frantisek

Here you go.

Westmoore is the manufacturer and that drawing number (11612) was used on both the Curtiss R4 and R9. Yours just happens to be stamped for the R9.

It's not particularly "rare", as a number of them seem to have survived as surplus, but it is old and rare in that sense. If it has the original decals be sure not to mess with them (or try to "restore" it in any way).

Comment

Hello,
      thank you very much. Do you know more informaton about manufacturer?

Thank

Frantisek

Comment

I just know that they were located in Chicago and made quite a few propellers for a variety of aircraft in the late teens and early twenties. There were literally hundreds of companies making propellers then under government contracts for the military. Many of them began as furniture companies, piano companies, lumber mills (e.g. Hartzell) and other manufacturers who were already geared up for woodworking.

With respect to the "rare" issue, it's notable that the American Propeller Company, which manufactured them under the name "Paragon" had made over 25,000 wooden propellers by the end of WW1. I suspect Westmoore did not have that level of productivity, but judging by the number that still turn up, they were a high production entity.

Can you post photos of yours?

Comment

Hello,
          Thank you very much for information. This propeller I found during my trip in Germany. I´m interested about these things, hereby I contacted you. In attachment find you pictures.

Frantisek
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting photos. Nice looking prop. I hope you can keep it in its present condition.

Comment

Working...
            X