Of interest to collectors . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of interest to collectors . . .

I've been collecting wooden propellers for over 40 years, having owned over 100 original (and some very rare) propellers over that time. Early on, reproduction props were almost unheard of. About 10 years ago WW1 reproductions began appearing on eBay. Today I notice that there are quite a few scaled down reproductions (generic in style) being offered on Amazon, and I'm guessing that it's filling a need for Christmas gifts for pilots.

But there's nothing like the real thing, IMHO, and I encourage those who currently own authentic propellers in original condition to hold on to them and to avoid the temptation to "restore" them in any way. One hundred years ago WW1 was being fought in Europe and airplanes were being developed at a frantic pace for wartime purposes. Propellers that have survived that era are officially now "antiques", no matter what classification of "antique" you choose.

I've seen the value of authentic props as collectibles rise considerably over the past 15 years or so. I think the value of authentic originals will rise considerably more in the near and distant future. I have a number of them displayed in my home and still admire and appreciate them more and more as time goes by.

Attached Files
Working...
X