Maddox Table Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maddox Table Company

This prop is on eBay and is interesting. Appears to be for an OX5 engine. I have not heard of the Maddox Table Company before. Can anyone advise?

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Maddox Propeller

I was recently given a wooden prop manufactured by the Maddox Table Company of Jamestown, N.Y. Stamped on the wood near the hub is the following: 1/OX 5/ 8* X 5* 8**/(square box with arrow pointing toward the tip of the prop)/S.C. 41798. One the other side of the hub is a faded decal from The Maddox Table Company. Attached is a photo of the imprinted data. I would appreciate and help in establishing the provenance of the propeller.

Murray Harris
    Attached Files

Comment

It's not a common one and I haven't heard of the manufacturer, but years ago while researching propellers at the Library of Congress I found that there were hundreds of manufacturers trying to get contracts from the government for propeller manufacturing. Most of them were furniture makers of some kind, including a number of piano manufacturers.

There was at least one other manufacturer in Jamestown called Falcon Propellers and they made some models for various Curtiss aircraft.
      Dave

Comment

Maddox prop

From what I have found on my internet searches The Maddox Table Company had a contract to build 250 propellers for the U. S. government. How does one establish a value for such a propeller, short of taking it to Antiques Roadshow?

Too, I wonder what the serial number means. It may be a sequential number provided by the Air Service, or it may indicate that it was the 98th propeller built for their contract and that it was built in April of 1917. (4 17 98 ). A numerologist could come up with dozens of different meanings for the S/N.

Comment

No, that number is a Signal Corps number ("S.C.") commonly found on many propellers from that era. To my knowledge there is no known tabulation of those numbers with dates but I would say that 41,000 represents a fairly "late" production number, probably in the twenties. (?)

A contract for 250 propellers is a relatively small contract. Hartzell could produce that many PER DAY, and the American Propeller Manufacturing company had produced 25,000 by the end of WW1.
          Dave

Comment

Maddox Table Co.

The Maddox Table Co. was given a contract in 1917 to make 250 propellers by the U.S. War Dept. They were 8' long and made of oak. The props were to be used on a Curtis Jenny. When the Army Air Corp. received the props, they liked them so well that they ordered an additional five more. Maddox never got paid for the extra five and filed suit to get their money. A federal judge found for the defendant. There is a Liberty hanging in the WWI museum located in Paris that looks just like the Maddox produced propellers.

I would show you a picture of my Maddox, but not sure how to post it.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjets View Post
              The Maddox Table Co. was given a contract in 1917 to make 250 propellers by the U.S. War Dept. They were 8' long and made of oak. The props were to be used on a Curtis Jenny. When the Army Air Corp. received the props, they liked them so well that they ordered an additional five more. Maddox never got paid for the extra five and filed suit to get their money. A federal judge found for the defendant. There is a Liberty hanging in the WWI museum located in Paris that looks just like the Maddox produced propellers.

Don
              Thanks for that info.

If you mail me photos to dbahnson at gmail I'll post them.
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjets View Post

Don
                Hi,

Could you tell where is this Liberty engine in a Paris museum? Is it possible to find a pic of it on Internet?
                And yes, I would be interested by pics of your Maddox prop showing markings and decals. You can send them at:
                pmdecombeix
                at
                yahoo
                dot
                com

Regards,
                PM

Comment

Maddox

The Liberty I was writing about is a Hartzell Liberty. I also found Starr Piano Company produced the same type of prop Maddox did. There should be pictures of my Maddox being posted shortly.
                  Don

Comment

Photos via email.

And I would say that's the same "basic" design as a number of props from different manufacturers that were fitted to either the OX5 or the Hall Scott A7A engine, both of which were used commonly on some of the early trainers like the JN4 and the Standard J1.

See this similar propeller, but note that it is only 8 feet in length vs. the Maddox propeller which is 3 inches longer.

Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for the photographs sent via Dave Bahnson. Would it be possible to send a further photograph of the Maddox decal, at a high resolution and in focus for my records which might be published in due course.

With kind regards,

Bob
                      Bob Gardner
                      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
                      X