X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.4.C. Prop

Recently found an old prop at a flea market with the following markings:
    No.84908 PLNE S.4C. Standing R.P.M. 1210 ENG. Le Rhone Part No. 13631
    B.A.P. It has an oval decal on the right blade stating (HARDMAN) in the upper portion and on the bottom (Hardman Peck & Co. New York). The cloth covering on the right blade extreme tip has separated from the prop. The prop has a clock within the hub. Unfortunately whoever placed it there did a little carving to get the clock in place. Otherwise the prop looks to be in great shape. Looked so good to me that I had to have it! From my research I believe it's from a Thomas Morse Scout. I wish I could include the digital photos I have of the prop but the posting procedures seem to be a bit beyond my techno accumen. What I'd like to know Dave is 1. Can the separated cloth be redoped to the prop and 2. the hub restored, both without aversely affecting the value of this prop? [/b]

I cannot answer your questions but if you'll email me the pictures using the email button below I'll be glad to include them in your post.

Lamar

Comment

Mike,
      The value won't change much by "fixing" the hub or glueing the fabric back on, but it can make it more attractive as a display prop. I'd have to see what's involved in the hub to give you any idea of what's involved, but no matter what you do it won't be the same as if the carving out hadn't occurred. It's still important to leave the rest of it as intact as you can.
      Yes, it is from a Thomas Morse Scout.
      Dave

Comment

If you are planning to sell it in the next year or so, don't do anything to it.
        It is a valuable artefact in it's original condition which shows how these props were finished when first made. It's better to sell it as it is.

If you are going to keep it for a long time, take it to a cabinet maker who can reglue the fabric for you with the necessary sympathy.

If possible send photographs of the decals to Dave and me for our databases.

With regards,

Bob
        www.aeroclocks.com
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X